Friday 21 September 2018

Thursday 20/09/2018 - Windmill Cost Cutter - Match Lake

Geoff and I usually go to Shiplate Farm this week fortnightly, however, Geoff had to get home early so we had our first Windmill cost cutter ably run by Ken Morgan. Not much sleep because I had 13 metre pole neck all night so with the forecast for high winds I nearly cried off. But once up and moving around the neck eased a bit plus the weather is never as bad as the BBC forecast so off for breakfast to Hungry Horace's.

I did think the attendance would be low due the weather forecast so was surprised to find ten of us. I think these matches will get more popular. Into the draw tin and out comes red milk bottle top with 22 written on it. Very happy with this because its a short walk, end peg today and is a good Carp peg  can't say the same for Silvers though! Geoff had drawn opposite on peg 2 also an end peg.

I decided on a Carp only attack today. The peg is very deep so I decided to keep things simple so as not to aggravate my neck further. Two top-sets plus one barrel set up. The wind was OK but I knew it would get far worse. First rig was a 4x10 Roob for the LH margin to fish 6mm meat and a 0.2 gram paste rig for the RH margin. The LH margin had a nice depth and could be fished at any depth, choosing 18 inches, the downside I would be facing into the wind. However a different story in the RH margin where it was far deeper due to having to fish out past the Sedges. I started on the meat and found the Carp willing catching 40 lb in no time. It was noticeable that Silvers weren't pestering the soft bait. I  had some company arrive - two Pigeons which I think were racers blown off course. They stayed all day around and under my tray clearing up all the spillage, my platform was completely clean when I left (pictured upper right). The wind got up so bad I could present the meat properly and started to foul hook. So I switched to the RH where I had been dribbling in now wetted 4's. I was pleasantly surprised when the float when straight under. I had a few but the wind and margin depth was out gunning my light paste float which I didn't change until forced to by a wind assisted tangle changing to a 0.3 gram which proved perfect. I  had a good run on the paste then had a period of foul hookers which was frustrating as I really didn't understand why this should happen.

I weighed 158 lb 12 oz for first on the day. I had some lovely hard fighting Carp (pictured upper right). Geoff also had a good day catching 86 lb. As it proved the Lake fished well on a very stormy day.

The Silvers was won my Enigma in the form of Steve Dawson (pictured right with the match winner) with 31 lb 8 oz from peg 8. Steve started at 12 metres using expanders over micro until the wind forced him shorter where he caught some big Skimmers on corn over corn

Result:

1. Mike Nicholls 158-12-0 peg 22
2. Well Done Dave 96-03-0 peg 14
3. John Smith 86-03-0 peg 18
4. Geoff Francis 85-15-0 peg 2

Silvers:

1. Steve Dawson 31-08-0 peg 8
2. Ken Morgan 16-04-0 peg 20

Weigh Sheet:


















No comments: