Friday 24 August 2018

Thursday 23/08/2018 - Shiplate Fishery - Cost Cutter - Main Lake

Yesterday I dropped a plastic bag behind my pellet store and over stretched to retrieve it, so this morning woke with a very painful neck. Not sure I could go fishing but after a dummy try of the Ronnie rig and feeding I decided I could, but not sure I could fish the pole for long periods. Arrived at the fishery to the usual warm welcome by the Gamekeeper and his Goldilocks. After a cup of tea and a chat about where the best place to draw for the Silvers, conclusion, the far side.However, because of the long walk and my injury I was glad to draw a short walk to peg 4.

Mike Jones and I was looking across to the Main Lake and he made the observation that we could be stood in the grounds of a stately house.


Peg 4 is an open water peg so was happy that the Silvers would be the safer bet. One of the pluses of this fishery is at Least 50% fish for Silvers and are very good at it, so very competitive. Two rigs the Ronnie and a 4x14 Winter to fish at top-set plus four sections for expander over micro/4mm mix. I fed the long line where I started with the Sonubaits 4 mm expander. Within a few minutes things didn't feel right. No indications until I caught a 4 oz Skimmer - to be my only one of the day! I was soon on the Ronnie rig with single caster over loose fed caster. I had a good three hours catching some decent Ronnie Roach until the wind picked up which was blowing straight at me making feeding and presentation very hard. I lost the fish three times during the match each time before and after hooking Carp all breaking me. It's important not to over feed the caster as it attracts the Carp.


My Silvers weighed 29 lb 4 oz for first in the Silvers so mission accomplished. Lovely net of Ronnie's all on 3/4 pint of casters. As I was last to weigh Silvers I knew I had beaten Mike Jones into second place. I met Mike walking back, he asked why I was grinning, "had I beaten him by an ounce". "Five to be precise" was my reply. Us pictured upper right. The difference being probably he had one more pee than me!

Gary Flinders was running late so Mike Owens drew peg 1 for him!! I saw Gary arriving with his tackle, but thought the slope too the peg wasn't steep enough to warrant the speed Gary came down it!! Needless to say if I can catch 160 lb in fours hours Gary could do a lot better. He did winning the match with 279 lb 4 oz (pictured right). Gary started by fishing shallow with pellet then the Method to the island and later the margin - all on banded pellet.

Result:

1. Gary Flinders 279-04-0 peg 1
2. Merv Clark 116-10-0 peg 14B
3. Tom Light 108-06-0 peg 3

Silvers:

1. Mike Nicholls 29-05-0 peg 4
2. Mike Jones 29-0-0 peg 15
3. Ron Stark 26-04-0 peg 5

Weigh Sheet:







No comments: