Thursday 16 August 2018

Thursday 16/08/2018 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's - Bridge Pool

Forgot the kids were home from school so could have left later; it's lonesome in the car park on your own. Dave Gillard arrived soon after so sat in his van until the rain stopped. We discussed pegs, Dave was hoping for peg 18 and me 24. Into the draw bag and Dave gets his wish with peg 18. I was close enough with peg 21.

It was nice to see a old fishing buddy Tony Harding  back from Cape Town (pictured right). Can't understand giving up catching 2 oz Ronnie Roach for 200 kg Hammerhead Sharks! A great bloke to be with, hope to see him more in the coming years.

For company I had  Pete "UTG" Greenslade on peg 20 and Steve "The Enigma" Dawson on peg 24.

After doing a bit of marginal swim clearing and hooking up some of the overhanging brambles on the island  which really needs a boat to trim it back properly because they kept blowing back down.

I set up far too many rigs, primarily because I had plenty of time. The usual plan of Silvers first half and Carp second. Totally opposite approach to the Enigma.

I started at top-set plus one  with a 4x14 F1, just up the inside shelf with Sonubaits 4mm expander over micro and hard 4's. I had a good run of various species with the two  decent Tench being the icing. The swim was bothered with F1's which maybe why the Enigma goes for the Silvers later? Come half time I reckon I had 15 lb of Silvers and my f1's were weighed in at 12 lb. Time to switch to Carp over to the island. I know there are a few Chub over there so started on a yoof with triple maggot over cupped maggot and micro. This worked for two Chub which were very small. The F1's moved in which I started to foul. The  Enigma only had 4 lb first half and was now catching Skimmers one a bung I thought I would focus on the Carp. I needed some of the munters that still reside in the area so switched to a SB 0.2 gram paste float fished in 3 foot of water again over to the island I would have preferred to have fished closer but there were too many brambles. This had the opposite effect with the F1's ripping the elastic out. The wind and the brambles were a nightmare, but managed somehow to keep the float attached to the line! I did have a 7 lb Carp which I had to reverse into the landing net.

My Silvers weighed in at 17 lb 2 oz and my F1's/Carp 46 lb 12 oz for a total of 63 lb 12 oz for Silvers fifth and second overall.

The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 81 lb 5 oz rom peg 26. Tony caught on... see his blog for details.

The Silvers was won by Enigma with 29 lb 5 oz from peg 24. Steve caught all his fish in the first two hours after the break. Steve caught on maggot the rest remains a mystery.

Result:

1. Tony Rixon 81-05-0 peg 26
2. Mike Nicholls 63-12-0 peg 21
3. Paul Barnfield 63-02-0 peg 14
4. Martin McMahon 52-09-0 peg 32

Silvers:

1. Steve Dawson 29-05-0 peg 24
2. Paul Barnfield 26-10-0 peg 14
3. John Fry 21-05-0 peg 7
4. Hugie Evans 19-0-0 peg 15

Weigh Sheets:






























No comments: