Monday 6 August 2018

Sunday 05/08/2018 - Windmill Fishery - South Gloucester Show Open Match - Match Lake

Due to a change in the fishery management. Dave Haines was running today's match (pictured right)  Apparently Brad is taking over the management. I think Dave runs a decent match, so hopefully Brad will let him get on with it. However, Dave announced recently on Facebook that he was in a "Relationship", none that know Dave was surprised to find out it was a beef steak!! Mind boggles.

Twenty three fishing today so only two pegs empty - 5 and 13. Brad kindly waived today's peg fee and also treated us to a mid match cold cider. Dave ran it 50/50 Carp and Silvers with both up for grabs, which I agree with - if you win both you should pick up both. He also ran blind pairs and the heaviest fish - again no defaults.

I drew birthday boy Chris Davis in the pairs, so I might have to try for some Carp. Into the draw box and out comes peg 2. Wrong side, wrong end. The peg is hidden amongst high sedges with the left side unfishable as they are so close to the platform. Apparently Brad is planning to remove some of them. There were signs of Carp in the margin, but by the time is was nets in they had gone. For company I had Magician Dave Willmott on peg 1, so good company that I couldn't see only hear.

I set up allsorts today, which proved sensible because I could switch around with some anticipation and while away the time.

I thought I would initially try for Carp upto the Sedges with the float set at four foot (It's about 8 foot deep at the bottom of the shelf, shelving off quickly). First try with 6mm meat over potted micro and meat I hooked a Carp and as half anticipated I ended up playing Sedges.I did have a few Ronnies and a couple of small Skimmers on this before it died. It was clear it was going to be a hard match for most. The only rig I hadn't set up was the Ronnies rig so decided to set it up try and catch anything that swam with live reds. Again it was proving hard to catch even on this bait. I added a few Ronnies and small Perch. I upped the maggot feed and had a welcombe Crucian and some more Perch, I then hooked a Carp of about 3 lb which I just about managed to get out of the reeds. Followed soon after a large Carp which I thought had snagged me in open water so I was pulling for a break when I relised it was still hooked. It decided to go into the reeds to my left where I thought I had lost it so again pulling for a break and to my surprise it came out. It tried the reeds trick a few more times before I netted it. I thought it might have got me the biggest fish judging by the size of it's tail and head, but unfortunately it only weighed 11 lb 4 oz so a few pounds light. The last three hours was purgatory for most with the heat not helping matters. I plugged away for the odd small Ronnies and Perch to the welcombe all out. I hooked another Carp which might have been fouled with the rig coming back and twanging on the bib and brace - not having time to sink the pole tip!

My Silvers weighed 4 lb 12 oz for a joint third in the Silvers pick-up. My total weight was 19 lb which was only good enough for Chris and I to finish fourth in the pairs. I now wish I had fished the latter part of the match in the deep water with GB and maggot, I wasn't thinking straight after the free cider!

The match was won by Paul Elmes (pictured upper right with the Silvers winner) with 112 lb 6 oz from peg 15. Paul caught at 16 metres over to the island using banded pellet over kindered 6's.

The silvers was won by John Fuidge with a lowly 8 lb 1 oz from peg 12. John struggled like most for most of the match catching a few Skimmers late on using double maggot over GB.

Paul's weight was well ahead of second place so with pairs partner Gerry Welsh's 45 lb 10 oz they were well out in front with 158 lb (both pictured right).

The biggest fish was 14 lb 8 oz caught by Shaun Townsend from end bank peg 11.

A great day out with friends in the sunshine. Beer on the way home finished it all off nicely.

Result:











Pairs:






















Weigh Sheets:


























No comments: