Monday 9 July 2018

Sunday 08/07/2018 - Ivy House Open - Willow Lake

Bela still suffering from standing on hot tin roofs, so travelled with Geoff Francis. With three club bookings us regulars were put on Willow Lake which is the first half of what was the Match Lake - now rejoined. Andy has been using it as a Carp Lake so he had to convert it back to a Match Lake with the aid of some correction fluid - Pictured right. After one of Karen's breakfast Geoff and I had a walk round Willow Lake and witnessed some large Carp sunbathing.

Thirteen fishing today. Into the draw tin and out comes white ball number 29 which was one away from a corner which was occupied by Allan Oram. Geoff drew peg 26. I have fished the peg before and had a few decent Ronnies. I thought the waggler rod would be good today fished on the drop with maggot. Whilst setting up I tripped and it was a question of saving myself landing on my face or standing on the Daiwa rod - Rod now history. I borrowed one from Geoff but made a right mess of trying to set it up. When I did I didn't get to use it. Now all a fluster. I set up the Ronnie rig, a 4x14 Malman F1 - I love these float - indestructible. I started on the Ronnie rig set 3 foot deep with caster over caster and caught quick for the first hour, it then slowed so introduced some Hemp seed and started to catch some better Ronnies albeit needing a bit of a wait, again with caster hook bait. I upped the Hemp feed which was to prove a big mistake  managing to attract Carp catching and landing an 8lb Common on the Ronnie rig. After this I spent and hour trying allsorts to catch Silvers even trying CW&C which resulted in one bootlace. It was obvious the Carp were doing their best to piss me off, so I set up a paste rig for the LH margin - now clear of reeds and in the last 90 minutes caught another four Carp losing one foul hooker. The Carp appeared to love the Hemp because the more I fed the better the fishing got and at the end they were lining up, but playing it crafty by coming up along the inside and turning out at the point of feed  and re-circulating.

My Silvers weighed 15 lb 8 oz which fell 1 lb short for the Silvers win. It wasn't only the Hemp and Carp that cost me but the Ronnie escape hole for those dropped fish in the front of the platform (pictured upper right). My five Carp weighed 44 lb 8 oz for a total of 60 lb. Now if only - I didn't do this and did that earlier...

The match was won by Allan Oram (pictured right) with 96 lb 8 oz from corner peg 28. Allan caught most of his Carp fishing long shallow with banded pellet over loose fed pellet. He did have a couple down his edge but was also finding the Carp playing crafty. Hopefully Allan will be joining the Bathampton AA over 55's soon. A great bloke and a very experienced match angler.

The Silvers was won by Glynn with 16 lb 8 oz from peg 43. I'm not sure how he caught but will ask him next time I see him.

Andy Lloyd wanted me to take a picture of him drinking a cider I bought for him - cheeky bugger.

Thank goodness I took my Drennan umbrella which did a grand job keeping me ut of the sun for most of the match. It was so hot Geoff and I had to stop in the pub to get out of the sun on the way home!! 

Result:

1. Allan Oram 96-08-0 peg 28
2. Chris Timms 80-02-0 peg 41
3. Paul 72-08-0 peg 40

Silvers:

1. Glynn 16-08-0 peg 43
2. Mike Nicholls 15-08-0 peg 29

Weigh Sheet:


No comments: