Friday 8 June 2018

Thursday 07/06/208 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's - Bridge Pool


Geoff and I had another cold breakfast at Wetherspoons Hanham. At least we were able to eat it fast which was essential if we were to get through the Keynsham traffic in time for the draw; we only just made it.

Twenty Four fishing in to the draw bag and counter peg 32 it was. Umm. All the fish appear to be hugging islands at the moment with open water being difficult. So with peg 32 being the wrong end and in open water I knew it was going to be a difficult day to pick up coin. For company I had matey Geoff on peg 31 and Pete Greenslade on end peg 33. Opposite was radio Leicestershire’s Ray Bazeley.

I have found the best way to catch the Skimmers here is to fish the pole at top-set plus three with 4mm expander over micro for one hour then switch to the waggler and maggot. I did clear the margin out where I thought I might catch a Carp or two, but seeing how clear the water was hopes faded. The other end of the pool had much more colour. I also noted that were no signs of any sort of fish fry.

So waggler with a 9 inch bodied drake was erected and a 4x16 Winter for the pole. Started as planned and I was taken by utter surprise when I had a bite on the drop first put in and found a two pound Skimmer flying two foot out of the water. Surprise got the better of me with the line momentarily catching around the end of the pole bumping the fish off, to a few anglers amusement. I didn’t realise it at the time but this was to cost coin. As predicted I had a few Skimmers and three small F1’s before on the hour I started to miss bites and found them to be from tiny Perch; time to go on the waggler. I knew there were Skimmers to be caught but was pestered by tiny Perch.  I did have a couple of Skimmers but the nuisance Perch were getting to the bait first. I plugged away on the waggler because I was getting bites when everyone around was struggling.

My few F1’s weighed 2 lb 10 oz and my Silvers 13 lb 10 oz and one out of the Silvers coin.

The match was won by Tony Rixon (pictured right) with 94lb from peg 30. Tony made use of his bulk fishing 17.5 metres over to the island catching various sized Carp and F1’s. See his blog for further details.

The Silvers was won by Steve “The Wizard” Dawson (pictured right with the match winner) with 35lb from peg 10. Steve caught fishing pellet during the first half whilst he fed the Skimmers up switching to maggot shallow in the second half to keep the Skimmers coming. Well done matey a great catch on the day.

A constructive note about future pegging; now that Carp are playing a bigger part in the weights pegs 5, 17, 19 and 25 should be considered and pegs 20, 32 and 33 left out.

It was back to the Compton Inn for a beer and a faggot supper.

Result:

  1. Tony Rixon 94-0-0 peg 30
  2. Paul Haines 80-14-0 peg 21
  3. Harry Muir 65-11-0 peg 4
  4. Rod Dufferty 52-06-0 peg 18
  5.  Ken Morgan 45-15-0 peg 24
  6. Paul Barnfield 45-13-0 peg 28
 Silvers:

  1. Steve Dawson 35-0-0 peg 10
  2. Paul Barnfield 15-11-0 peg 28
  3. Chris Ollis 15-06-0 peg 27
  4. ken Morgan 14-12-0 peg 24
  5. Mike Nicholls 13-10-0 peg 32
  6. Pete Greenslade 12-0-0 peg 33
Weigh Sheet:






















No comments: