Friday 11 May 2018

Thursday 11/05/2018 - Bathampton Over 55's - Bridge Pool


Another decent bright day albeit a chilly westerly wind blowing. However, the day started by sitting in traffic at Keynsham temporary traffic lights. I sat wondering at the cost to car drivers and the environment. I’m sure the contractor could reduce the impact by managing better. I think the council should be more proactive in ensuring minimum impact.

Still arrived in plenty of time for the usual roam this time with Hughie Evans. Twenty Coffin Dodgers for the draw. Back for a draw and out came peg 3. Noooo, this end of the pool hasn’t fished consistently for years, but it’s an end peg. I was lucky to have John Fry next to me who thought I needed a complete rundown of my peg over the next hour! Opposite were James Norris and Dave Wride.

Change of plan today Silvers all day as I didn’t expect Carp in any numbers at this end as its open water and the Carp appear to be hugging island and features. It did cross my mind to fish the waggler down to the aerator which would have meant fishing past two empty pegs. However, I settled on a 4x16 to fish top-set plus three in 8 foot of water, a 4x14 to fish top-set up the shelf and a 4x12 to fish the margins.

I fed some caster and worm on the short line, some micro and hard 4’s down the margin and the same on the long line where I started using 4mm Sonubait expander. Immediately there was some fizzing over it followed by some missed bites. I then had three very small F1’s subsequently the fizz stopped. Fed again a bit more fizz catching four small Skimmers before the swim completely died. Everyone our end was struggling. I tried the other rigs with the worm line catching a small Perch who wasn’t hooked but stupidly hung on to the worm. The half time whistle was welcome. John Fry caught a Skimmer after the whistle but did put it back!!

I had to weigh in and I was winning on our board with Carp with 2lb 2oz!! I still had enough time to switch tactics setting up a full depth waggler to fish in the middle with maggot over maggot and a chat with matey Dave Gillard. I had to go easy with the feed as I only had half a pint of reds. The waggler was working reasonably well even though there was a nasty skimming wind blowing. Plus I didn’t have to keep moving the pole in and out due to car traffic. The upshot I caught eight big Skimmers two on the drop. I did miss one bite which was to cost me coin.

No more F1’s. The Skimmers weighed 15lb 4oz only 4oz from a default pick up!

The match was won by Dave Gillard (pictured upper right with the Silvers winner) with 60lb 14oz from his permanent home peg 16. Dave caught over at 13 metres to the island using either expander or maggot catching a good few F1’s and a couple of big Carp.

The Silvers was won Paul Barnfield with 21lb 12oz from peg 14. Paul caught most of his fish on the waggler and maggot.

Hughie Evans (pictured right with his catch) was close Silvers runner up with 21lb 6oz from peg 7. Hughie caught on the pole up and down using maggot over maggot.

I'm beginning to like the 30 minute Carp weigh in period.

It was the first time for what seems like years that the usual suspects were able to enjoy a pint in the garden.

Result:

  1. Dave Gillard 60-14-0 peg 16
  2. Tony Rixon 59-02-0 peg 18
  3. Paul Barnfield 42-0-0 peg 14
Silvers:

  1. Paul Barnfield 21-12-0 peg 14
  2. Hughie Evans 21-06-0 peg 7
  3. Tony Rixon 19-06-0 peg 18
Weigh Sheets:






















No comments: