Monday 21 May 2018

Sunday 20/05/2018 - Windmill Open - Match Lake


I’ve made it no secret that I ‘m not a fan of past fishery management at Hunstrete, particularly the continued Siltexing, fish transfers and culling. However, I do support the closing of the Pools whilst the fish are spawning. Unlike Rivers it’s easy enough to tell when the fish are spawning, so a couple of weeks of closer are a good thing. I would go further and support closing fisheries once the water temperature rose above 15 degrees (measured at full depth). I do believe high water temperature is one of the biggest initiators of KHV.

Well Done Dave Willmott for smashing the Todber Manor Silvers record with over a ton and nearly wining the match to boot. And that’s Magic.

First stop today was Wetherspoons, Staple Hill and was relived to find the breakfast menu hasn’t changed. Plus it was hot!!

Only 11 of us today which is a shame as it fished really well. Into the draw box and out comes peg 6. Happy with this as there are some Silvers to be caught here. I was in a rank of Carp slayers – Martin Rayet, Bela and Joe McMahon so Silvers it would be.

I set up a number of rigs but it was the Ronnie rig and a 4x 10 Yoof that caught the lion share of the fish. Started on the Ronnie rig with maggot and first cast over the loose feed I foul hooked a munter Carp so on goes another hook. Next cast I hooked a decent Skimmer about 2lb which appeared to shed the hook but actually I lost it due to some poor hook tying – curly werly’s. I did have a few Ronnie’s, Perch and Rudd but it was slow. Halfway into the match I saw a Skimmer top on the far bank so set up 13 metres of pole which caused a stir from the neighbouring Slayers, but only managed to annoy the resident Carp further. So decided to go back to the van and get the waggler rod. With this set up and with loose fed maggot and single on the hook I managed to annoy more Carp but managed to land two. I did finally catch two Skimmers and a few more Ronnie before I went in the margin in search of more Silvers where I had potted some L and DR’s. First put in missed a bite next put in a nice Crucian was netted, what lovely fish. I then had a run of four decent Skimmers before I unfortunately fed some more maggots which resulted in Carp carnage, landing another four munters.

My six Carp weighed 35 lb 7 oz and my Silvers 12 lb 1 oz this put me halfway overall with 47 lb 8 oz and second Silvers pick up.

The match was won by Martin “One Chew” Rayet (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with a weight of 157 lb 13 oz from peg 10. Martin caught 50% of his Carp stood up waving his long pole about; with the other 50% caught sat down fishing his margin with meat over meat.

The Silvers was won by Magician Dave Willmott with 13 lb 8 oz from peg 6. Dave caught mainly big Skimmers down his edges using meat over loose fed meat. Fishing for Carp methinks!

It was back to the pub with the usual suspects. It’s amazing what sunshine does to the appearance of ladies.

Result:

  1. Martin Rayet 157-13-0 peg 10
  2. Joe McMahon 152-01-0 peg 5
  3. Shaun Townsend 143-13-0 peg 22
Silvers:

  1. Dave Willmott 13-08-0 peg 18
  2. Mike Nicholls 12-01-0 peg 6
Weigh Sheets:



No comments: