Monday 14 May 2018

Sunday 13/05/2018 - Tony Rixon's Short Pole Series - Round One - Todber Manor - Hillview


Apparently the Cannings and McMahon’s travelling partnership got off to a difficult start. Gordon came home in the early hours to find the door key wasn’t letting him in, only to find the door locked, it was then opened for Gordon to receive a right cross. Gordon’s wife decided because he was obviously the worse for wear to hide his car keys, which Gordon found for only to be threatened with the Police if he drove. Luckily Martin McMahon spoke to Gordon’s wife bringing some calm mainly because Martin said he would drive.

With Bay-la today who had spent another £450 on his once trusted steed. If Trigger was to have a Van to go with his broom this would be it. Got to the Little Chef which has been renamed EG Diner (same pricey menu) where Bela went to close his driver door window only for it to come off the drive rack.

Twenty seven fishing this popular league so a decent sized three sections of nine. A bit disappointed we couldn’t get a cuppa at the fishery, probably because John was on holiday. Tony introduced a new no standing whilst fishing rule – good for him I say. I also understand John Candy is to introduce this plus 16 metre limit – good for him as well, would have preferred the CIPS 13 metre though.

In to the draw box and out comes peg 41. Arriving at he peg I found myself sandwich between Adrian Jeffery peg 42 and Ryan Shipp peg 40. I did like the fact there was some wind cover so expected a good days fishing. My section ran from peg 35 to 43. Most of the marginal rushes had been battered down by recent spawning with a few usual casualties this activity brings – mostly small Tench. So thought the section would be won from either end where they had plenty of room, plus I didn’t expect the winner to come from this section, so only way to coin was to fish for the Silvers. But first I needed to confirm my thinking.

I set up a 4x10 Yoof for the shallow margin, a 4x12 for halfway up the inside shelf, a 4x14 to fish down the shelf in 6 foot of water, finally the old faithful Ronnie rig. I started on the top-set plus three as did most everyone as this was the pole limit with 4mm expander over hard 4’s. It wasn’t long before we were all playing a small Tench! I did have three Carp and some small Skimmers before I re-fed with some micro and hard 4’s only to seemingly kill the swim entirely. So no bigger excuse to pick up the Ronnie rig. I had tried casters for the Silvers in the 3 dayer which didn’t work as well as maggot so this was my chosen bait today. Loose feeding maggots against the wind wasn’t quite doing it so I mixed up some loose GB to aid distance. This worked OK but did attract loads of small Perch. All the decent fish were up in the water, however, shallowing up didn’t help as the Skimmers would only take moving bait. So tried the 4x12 up the shelf and caught some better Skimmers and a decent Tench before the Perch rallied. So by switching between the two lines I managed to avoid the Perch. What was slightly disappointing was the absence of feeding Ronnie’s. I then had a senior moment I always put my Silvers in the Left hand keepnet and Carp in the right simply because that’s the hand the Silvers are held in, I’m suddenly aware in the back of my mind I might had mixed the two, and I had! My decision to fish for Silvers was vindicated when the two end pegs started to catch well whilst the rest of the section could only watch.

Because I had put two small Carp accidently in the Silvers I put these back without weighing so my remaining five Carp weighed in 5 lb 12 oz and my Silvers weigh in at 24 lb 10 oz for that important Silvers win – but what comes with this is last in the section and out of the knock out – I’ll take the coin.

The match was won by Bob Gullick (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 108 lb 13 oz from end peg 53. Bob caught initially at top-set plus three on the fishery black hard pellet feeding about half a pint of the same and later on 8mm meat fishing up the shelf feeding about one tin of meat. Well done to Bob on a difficult day.

Gordon Cannings was runner up with 99 lb 15 oz. someone suggested he buy his Wife some flowers, but Martin McMahon thought that flowers would fall well short with a Cruise being the minimum offering. Some say Gordon would have won the match had it not been for all the visits to the toilet!!

It was good to see the “Real” Dave Lewis fishing the league again, another great day out.

Result:

  1. Bob Gullick 108-13-0 peg 53
  2. Gordon Cannings 99-15-0 peg 59
  3. Joe McMahon 88-15-0 peg 45
  4. Dave Lewis 80-11-0 peg 44
  5. Dean Malin 78-01-0 peg 57
  6. Mark Jefferies 77-11-0 peg 60
Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 24-10-0 peg 41
  2. lee Williams 22-10-0 peg 51
  3. Ryan Shipp 19-13-0 peg 40
Weigh Sheets:





No comments: