Tuesday 8 May 2018

Saturday, Sunday, Monday 05/06/07 May 2018 - Todber Manor 3 Dayer - Whitepost, Hillview, Ash and Homeground Lakes


I booked into the Todber 3 dayer some weeks back when the weather was cool; to say the least and did not anticipate the significant change that was to occur. It was wall to wall sunshine over the three days reaching 28+ degrees. I certainly didn’t predict the effect this would have on my fishing.

I had left it late to book accommodation but found an apartment in a place called Buckhorn Weston some 5 miles from Todber at £35 per night, so was cost effective to stay rather than drive each day – pictured right. Very quiet and clean.

The series was fully booked with 72 fishing. The draw for the Chancy pairs had been done the night before. I was paired with Mark Wynne a better draw for me than him I think.

Day One:

I had a steady drive down with little to no traffic, which was a surprise considering it was a bank holiday weekend.

Into the draw bag and out comes peg 23 on Whitepost Bottom Lake. I had not seen the Lake before so followed Stu White who was on the Top Lake. The parking was a bit manic – no one was going home early that was for sure. My section ran from end peg 27 to peg 22; and was told these pegs would be first and second in the section. I got to my peg which was disappointing to say the least. More disappointment when I found I had drawn next to my partner (pictured right) so share and share alike! My peg was set back in a bay (pictured right) with dense trees behind limiting me to top-set plus four unless I unshipped. The far side was about 25 metres away with 2 metres of lily pads. Looking for positives the margins looked good for fish later on the paste. Told there were no Silvers in these Lakes. I set up three rigs two for the margin – one for paste and the other for pellet/meat/anything else. The Lake is shallow at four feet so only needed a 4x12 to fish top-set plus four with expander over hard 4’s. I didn’t think fishing any further out would be any great benefit, anyway I hate unshipping large sections. Even though I was in a Parrots cage I set up a waggler to cast under arm to fish maggot over – no Silvers remember! Mark could reach the far bank with 14.5 metres which he was able to ship over and through the trees, but hinder him significantly, losing some fish because of this.

After feeding one margin with micro and 4’s for the paste and the other meat I started on the 4/6mm expander over some micro and hard 4’s. Mark and I were soon playing Curissio Carp. We kept catching these regularly for about half an hour when my swim completely died, Mark carried on catching Carp. I didn’t think it was my feeding. I noticed the angler next to me who had been struggling had started to catch. The penny dropped; the Lake had been restocked recently I concluded that hey were unsettled following the shoal around. I tried both margins and didn’t have any indication whatsoever. Tried the wag and maggot and found the Lake stuffed with two inch long Rudd. Wag abandoned. Back on the expander and I started to catch again and really well only for it to die again. Tried the margin again and had a 5lb Carp, that was it no further indications here. No one had caught from their margins. For the rest of the match I stayed on the expander catching on and off. I did catch an 8oz Ronnie which I put back rather than put it in with the Carp.

I finished with 73lb 6oz for 4 points – not a good start. Mark (pictured right) won the section with 142lb 2oz. Credit when it’s due; I found Mark a calm, skilful and thinking angler no edginess here. Our combined weight of 212lb was a good start to the pairs. As predicted pegs 27 and 22 were first and second in section. I really enjoyed the day it suited my way of fishing, just couldn’t hold the fish long enough. A note to Jon Candy please cut the grass a week before the match!

I went to a pub near the apartment called The Stapleton Arms. Food was OK but expensive. The pub lacked atmosphere and hospitality.


Day Two:

My turn on Hillview drawing peg 61; with Mark drawing peg 37 game over we thought for the pairs. Neither pegs not the best of draws. I had good company drawing next to matey the effervescent Nigel Saunders (pictured right) who had pulled peg 61. The list of kit I set-up chasing Carp is endless. I did catch a few Silvers at top-set plus three but due to the flat calm conditions they weren’t really interested – not one Ronnie! I caught most of my fish halfway up the inside shelf using meat over meat. I was hoping the fishing would improve as the match went on, alas not, it was a right struggle. Craig Welsby on next peg 34 had 10lb with an hour to go adding 56lb short on meat nearly catching Mark who hung on to win his section again.

I weighed 31lb 4oz comprising half Silver half Carp for last in the section. I did lose one munter. My section was won by Pete Neate. The fishing was alien to me it was either a question of being a Thrasher, Mugger or a Methodist to catch, with most of the weights coming from either side of the spit. Oh yes Nigel beat me.

The day improved when firstly Valerie brought me a cold beer to my peg – fantastic. I was then invited by Nigel and Valerie to the Crown Inn for a Carvery with Pete Neate. The food was excellent. I couldn’t even carry what Pete had on his plate let alone eat it.














Day 3:

It was my turn on Ash or Homeground (my favourite). Into the draw box and out comes peg 84 on Homeground. From previous results you needed to be a corner peg (the end bank pegs were left out) I thought I was on one if these. Unfortunately, not I was one in from the far bank/end. Mark had drawn opposite not where he wanted to be. We realised that our chances of the pairs were over. Walking to my peg the margin from peg 81 around to 83 was very coloured with Carp crashing around. I didn’t think they were spawning, more like spawn feasting. For company on end peg 53 was young Andrew Cranston. The question for Andrew would fishing the margin result in a frustrating foul hooking session or a bagging session. This was soon answered with a fish in the net before I even fed my lines. Andrew caught a fish every put in all thought the match.

I had decided to try CW&C on one line and micros/4’s on another line with a 4x14 set at the same depth which would serve both lines. From yesterday’s learning I set up a 4x12 for half way up the inside shelf for the meat. The only other rig was a 4x10 Yoof for the very shallow margin. I fed all the lines and started on the expander and caught three small Carp and some Skimmers. As Andrew was catching in his margin I gave it a try with meat which resulted in a 2 oz Perch! For two hours I caught Silvers over both long lines with whole worm being best hook bait. I did have one of my usual munter Bream. I came short on meat and caught more Skimmers and loads of tiny Tench and the occasional small Carp. I spotted 2 Rudd up on the surface and tried to mug them with a piece of meat but ended up hooking a 10 lb Common – that’s my story. For the last half hour I sat in the margin where I had more tiny Tench, a decent Skimmer and one Carp but fouled hooked three. It was bloody hot.














I finished again with 33lb of Silvers and 37lb of Carp for a level 70lb for joint last in the section. I really enjoyed the day especially when Valerie came around with another cold beer. I got my revenge on Nigel who was on the opposite bank to me

Felt for Mark Wynne who was one out of the coin overall; one more point needed two pegs the other side of him would have done it. That’s fishing a good angler.

My section and the match was won as expected by Andrew with 237lb 3oz. Andrew fished the same rig at five metres down his edge all day catching a fish every put in using 8mm pellet over kinder pellet he fed less than a pint all match. He fished a good match and what impressed me he was only 2lb under his clicker weight and that’s some doing with the mix of fish size in this Lake. A day he will never forget. Some pictures right.

I finished a lowly 56th with 15 points and 174lb 10oz overall weight. Well done to Allan Oram for winning the over sixties. I think had the weather not changed so significantly I would have fared better. The series was won by Des Shipp pictured below with the runner ups.

Overall Result:

1st Overall: Des Shipp 4pts  (524lb 7oz)
2nd: Ash Tomkins 4pts  (476lb 14oz)
3rd: Scott Puddy 4 pts  (375lb 12oz)
4th: Ben Hagg 5pts  (420lb 15oz)
5th: Tucks 5pts  (414lb 0oz)
6th: James Parkhouse 5pts  (394lb 2oz)





















Chance Pairs.

1st: Ash Tomkins/Dwayne Seed 814lb 2oz
2nd: Ben Hagg/Jack Stamp 761lb 11oz

Highest scoring senior (Over 60) Allan Oram 5pts 282lb 12oz

Biggest fish: Nigel Hiscock/Martin Rogers 17lb 12oz.

Mystery weight 111lb: Ray Webster closest with 106lb

Finally a note to league organisers sections of 6 is too small inevitably ending in a weight count back to decide winners; which in effect makes it an overall weigh league. Much better I think to have a minimum of 12 peg sections.

There was some who thought the series should have included Silvers. However, I perfectly understand why this wasn’t the case as it leads to more admin for the organisers. There are more than enough different payouts as is.

I’m not for bans of any sort. However, I think I would have a NO standing whilst fishing rule in consideration to anglers on next pegs trying to fish margins.

Thanks to Jon Candy for running a well organised series. I would highly recommend this series to everyone - guaranteed 3 days of good fishing.

No comments: