Friday 20 April 2018

Thursday 19/04/2018 - Shiplate - Cost Cutter - Main Lake


I have been having problems with the Baittech Expanders so thought I would compare the new Sensas expander (pictured right). However, I really didn’t get to give them a fair trial, so jury still out. The Sensas bag is much bigger but holds the same amount at a higher price!!

Geoff and I tried Shipham again but wasn’t as lucky as last time with them not being prepared to open early. This worked out fortuitous because Mark Jones (cooks better than he draws) had his Chef’s van at the fishery. One large and one small breakfast eaten alfresco. One of the best I’ve had recently. However, there was a few bit’s of flying plastic cutlery due to the food being over enthusiastically eaten.

Gamekeeper Steve thought the weather was September like – hoping he meant last September and not next.

Everyone was winter demob happy with some sunshine at last.

Into the plastic tub and out comes peg 7. Arriving at the peg I realised that I would be in the shade for most of the day and with a light chilly breeze blowing in to me. I was soon thinking I had demobbed my warmer clothes a bit too early, this whilst Geoff was basking in the sun opposite on peg 13A. I was happy enough with the peg. My thinking was that due to the bright sunshine and flattish calm water the Skimmers might not put in an appearance, so thinking Ronnie’s. Set the Ronnie rig up and a 4x14 which I swapped down to a 4x12 to fish top-set plus four for Skimmers. I fed the Skimmer line with some micro then a ball of GB laced with some caster and live maggot on the Ronnie rig line. First I tested the Ronnie’s which produced some Perch a Skimmer and some Ronnie’s. I then tested the Skimmer line with 4mm expander and after a bit of a wait I had a small Skimmer followed by a Ronnie. Right decision made the Ronnie rig was going to give me the higher weigh! The problem is once you go this route you have to get your head down and keep at it. From what I could see in the first hour I was doing OK especially opposite. With 45 minutes to go the sun appeared from the shadows and killed the Ronnie line so fed a big cup of micro on the Skimmer line and first put in hooked a 2lb Skimmer on the drop which came off at the net – nearly snatched it!  Then foul hooked a Carp, landed three and foul hooked another – umm. The upshot was I got it wrong letting my impatiens get the better of me once again. I’m now sure I would have caught more had I sat it out on the 4mm expander.

My Ronnie’s weighed 16 lb 4 oz and my three Carp 24 lb 2 oz for a half way total of 40lb 6 oz.

The match could have been won by Tich Williams with 222 lb but had a net disqualified. This left Gary Flinders (pictured right with the Silvers winner) in top spot with 164 lb 6 oz from peg 5. Gary caught on allsorts – stalking, shallow and on bottom using pellet on the pole at 16 metres.

The Silvers was won by Mike Laird with 43 lb 8oz from peg 15. Mike caught on corn over 4mm pellet.

Because the road was closed we had to go via Bleadon which was convenient because Geoff and I ended up in Brent House for another enormous Carvery. Geoff over faced himself leaving some of his! Another enjoyable day out in the life of a full and part time Pensioner.

Result:

  1. Gary Flinders 164-06-0 peg 5
  2. Tich Williams 140-06-0 peg 1 (82-04-0 deducted)
  3. Mike Laird 114-06-0 peg 15
Silvers:

  1. Mike Laird 43-08-0 peg 15
  2. Dave Wride 25-08-0 peg 8
  3. Nigel Wickham 24-0-0 peg 14B
Weigh Sheet:



No comments: