Sunday 14 January 2018

Sunday 14/01/2018 - Windmill Open - Match Lake

A friend of mine passed way last week. I will always remember our visits Trout fishing down Chew Valley. His double hauling classic fly casting always impressed me, as did his cooking. He loved his food, we always started the days fly fishing on a full breakfast cooked on a primus in the back of his van, the best I ever had, and a curry on the way home washed down with a few pints. RIP gentle giant will miss our stupid chats after a few and you driving home with one eye shut.

Less of the sentiment back to today’s fishing. A nice breakfast devoured in the company of Geoff Francis at Wetherspoons – Staple Hill. Disappointing that only seven fishing, but not surprising as the Viaduct Winter League started today – up the Silverfox’s. I went in last and pulled peg 23, happy with this as I was on the right side of the Lake. Geoff drew peg 27 AGAIN, this time he had the addition of the curse of the golden peg. Terry and his band of merry men have done a good job on refurbing some of the pegs - mine pictured right. 

With the wind near nonexistent (not a good omen here) I set up the waggler in the anticipation of catching an early Carp, a 4x16 to fish down the shelf at top-set plus three and a 4x12 to fish the margin. I fed the margin and just down the shelf both with GB laced with maggot but started on the waggler over loose fed LR’s which presented itself very well. The upshot of all these lines I didn’t have a bite. After 2 hours I walked the Lake and found three had caught with Geoff leading the charge with four Skimmers. I now regret telling geoff it would fish well today! Back in the saddle and after reflecting on a possible blank with a cup of tea, after which I dropped the cup in the maggots – end of my drinking today then. I decided to start the match again adding two more sections – two swims one at 10-o-clock to fish maggot over potted micro and maggot and one out in front at the same distance with GB laced with maggot. Another hour passed before I had my first bite a 6 oz Skimmer which shed the hook on the way back due to poor angling. Yet more poor angling ensued losing two more. After a period of calming I changed to very light elastic. This did the trick and by swapping between the two lines added the odd Skimmer and one 6oz Roach to the net.

I weighed 7lb 7oz for first overall and first in the Silver. Another double bubble and a decent pickup considering the attendance and pleasurably received from the queen of the weigh board (pictured upper right – eat your heart out Geoff, Martin and uncle Tom Cobbly…)

Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 7-07-0 peg 23
  2. John Osborne 6-08-0 peg 25
Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 7-07-0 peg 23
  2. John Osborne 6-08-0 peg 25
Weigh Sheet:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you run down hunstrete complex with 14 fishing you win match with 39lb yet you only catch 7lb here with 7 fishing and say nothing.. idiot..

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Hello Anonymous - I don't usually respond to anonymous, however.

It's about expectation. Huntstrete was one of the best small fisheries in the South West and gradually deteriorated in my opinion by very poor fishery management. Whereas Windmill since it's concept has always been very poor in its design. The fishing has always been poor especially during winter months as results show, so my expectation was not of disappointment and frustration. I do express my concerns directly to the Windmill fishery manager Terry Smith who does respond in a positive manner and trying his best to improve the match fishing.

Mike Nicholls