Monday 16 October 2017

Saturday 14/10/2017 - Viaduct All Winners Silvers Final - Campbell, Carey and Spring Lakes

It was my double weekend at the Viaduct Fishery. Today was the All Winners Silvers final on Campbell, Carey and Spring Lakes. Arrived early enough to have a walk around the lakes and decided that Spring Lake anywhere around the aerator pegs 1 to 5, 26, 25 or 24 would be my favoured draws. The usual Silvers pegs behind the island pegs 15, 17, 18 and 19 would be OK but didn’t look at fishy as the other pegs mentioned. Most pegs on Carey would be OK with pegs 77 and 78 favourite but I do like peg 85. Campbell is a little unpredictable but can easily throw up the winning peg.

In to the draw coffee tin and out comes peg 112 on Campbell. The peg has previously won this final and has some Silvers form. So arriving at the peg I found the Aerator running and would run all day. Most fisheries are having oxygen issues at the moment. For company I had Paul Greenwood on peg 111 and Colin Dyer on peg 114.

My shoulder was playing up this morning probably due to how I slept so would be able to fish more then 10 metres. I set up a 4x12 to fish the long lines for Skimmer over two lines one with maggot and GB the other 2 and 4mm expander over micro (LOL). Plenty of margins to have a go at on both sides so set up a 4x10 Speedy. Finally he Ronnie rig in case. Whist plumbing up I found the tow from either the light wind or Aerator or combo of both was running back towards me. I fed both long lines at 9 metres and the left hand margin with half a pot of caster. Thought I would try long with 4mm expander and within 10 seconds I was playing a Carp. Switched to 2mm expander and had a small Skimmer then another Carp and another and another….. Carp Slayer please note this after feeding 10 micro pellet and 4 2mm expanders! Tried over the GB line and had a Ronnie and another small Skimmer, then a Carp then another and another …Carp Slayers please note this was after feeding a walnut sized ball of GB laced with 6 maggots! So into my margin swim and first try with a single caster I bumped a Perch. Next put in I landed a welcome one pound Perch. In again and I’m playing another Perch and because I had to play it around the side of the platform it came off. In again and after four Ronnie’s I hooked yet another Carp and another and another…I didn’t even consider fishing the RH margin as even though I hadn’t fed it the bottom was coloured up and occasional the Carp would bump the legs of the platform leaving me to think someone was walking behind me. I got the landing net handle and started poking them which had no impression what’s so ever. Out came the Ronnie rig and with single caster and without feeding I had a few. If I fed I would hook a Carp. I was just about to throw the towel in when I hooked a 3lb Perch on the Ronnie rig followed by a 2 lb Tench so with the section of four fishing hard and with £50 up for grabs I stuck with the Ronnie Rig until 15 minutes to go when I lost my last hook length to a Carp.

I weigh 9lb 9oz for third in the section! I beginning to think my 0.1 GLine is far too strong for fishing Carp infested pegs as during the match I broke two elastics going for a break. The bigger Carp were the worse culprits for staying on long as the just sit in front probably still feeding. I think the Aerator and wind played a significant role in pushing the Carp into my peg. The pegs opposite fished well for Silvers.

Why didn't I draw this in the Carp All Winners? I just hoped I didn’t draw the peg the next day.

The match was won by Richard A’Herne (pictured right with a great net of Skimmers) with 53lb 2oz from peg 2 Spring Lake (thought so). Richard caught at 14 metres using the double bulk method fishing worm heads over caster after initially feeding the line with GB. Well done matey.


 Full Result:

  1. Richard A’Herne 53-02-0 peg 2
  2. Gabriel Skarba 36-10-0 peg 26
  3. Nigel Easton 32-01-0 peg 17
  4. Shawn Wilson 31-050 peg 77
  5. Steve Kedge 31-0-0 peg 131
  6. Craig Edmunds 30-12-0 peg 129
Weigh Sheets:






































No comments: