Friday 8 September 2017

Thursday 07/09/2017 - Ivy House - Cost Cutter - Kingfisher

According to the BBC Bela’s work would be rained off, so fishing it is then. I tried to book into the Viaduct cost cutter but left it too late due to the limited number of pegs available on Lodge and Match the match was full. So I booked us into Ivy House - Kingfisher Canal. Bela usually does well on this Canal so far drawing the same three pegs 5, 6 & 7.

The turnout was a bit disappointing, but I guess this is due to the general decline in match fishing, but more so to do with small clubs forming with limited membership fragmenting the potential larger matches. Into the draw coffee tin and out comes end peg 15. I was told it was an out and out Carp peg. In support of this I have seen some better Carp caught from the peg, so was hoping I could catch a few. I was expecting a good result. Bela’s drawing arm didn’t let him down pulling peg 7 - again, a good Silvers peg, we wanted to swap.

What I like about this Canal is the way Andy has pegged it with the prevailing winds off your back and the sun behind lends it’s self to comfortable fishing. It’s hard enough as it is in these recent times with the rain and wind battering us.

I didn’t have any company today as Val was too far away on peg 13 to have any form of conversation. I set up a Speedy to fish the margins with maggot, a 4x14 Winter (extra two foot of water had been delivered) to fish the 4mm expander at top-set plus one, the final rig a 0.3g paste float to fish at various lengths along the end bank where I expected to catch some lumps. Meanwhile Val had to return home to get his top-sets, good job he lives close by and not in Bristol.

I fed two places along the margin with a pot of hard 4’s and started to loose feed reds down the RH margin. Starting on the 4mm expander over micro resulted in a couple of small carp but found I had to re-bait four times due to missed bites before actually hooking one – very frustrating. I’ve not had this before and was eager to find out what was causing this – liners, Ronnie’s, Perch I couldn’t come to any conclusion that was until we were driving back and now believe it was the small carp taking the drop shot mistaking it for micro. Next math I will test this by pumping up some 2mm expander. To end the frustration I switched to paste and caught on the top-set to the end bank and had about 20 small Carp. My calculation was I could put 60 of these Carp to be safely under the fishery limit of 50lb. I thought I needed to catch some of the bigger Carp so went top-set plus three along the end bank but could only catch similar small Carp. Fishing paste this long for small Carp isn’t sensible if you can catch then shorter. So tried the maggot rig and was surprised to start catching Silvers in a peg I was assured there wasn’t any! In 20 minutes I had a bout 15lb including four Tench and two decent Skimmers and a host of Perch. I had been having problems with the elastic in one of my top-sets and should have changed it but, you know how it is. I lost the lost on another Tench. Luckily Adrian on peg 6 retrieved the float for me. The upshot was I messed about with paste and maggot until the end catching only one decent Carp on maggot.

I weighed 22lb 2oz of Silvers (where there are none, should have fished for them all match, but wouldn’t have beaten the Silvers winner). My 40 Carp weighed 29lb 8oz for a total of 51lb 10 oz, a decent days fishing with plenty of bites and action.

The match was won by Bela (pictured below with the Silvers winner) from peg 7 with 71lb 8oz. Most of his larger Carp coming from his LH margin using triple maggot (two side by side an upside one) fished over DR’s.

The Silvers was won by Andy Gard with a decent weight of 41lb 8oz from end peg 3. Andy caught on worm over GB laced with chopped worm. Well done matey. I thick Andy regrets not spending some time fishing for Carp as he was on for a double bubble pick-up.

With a bit of drizzle on the way to the fishery and some on the way home seem to nullify Bela’s guilt for not working today. The Pinky Ponk also helped in Bar-Gar-Age I think – another memorable day out. The van now has four double bubbles and a single with me dipping out today.

Finally, I hear that Martin Rayett whilst fishing peg 17 at Acorn Fishery on the Tuesday cost cutter that whilst shipping back over the fence behind him had the end of his MAP 901 pole bitten off by the resident horse. The funnier part was he expected the owner to compensate him!

Result Overall:

  1. Bela Bakos 71-08-0 peg 7
Silvers:

  1. Andy Gard 41-08-0 peg 3
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: