Monday 4 September 2017

Sunday 03/07/2017 - Tony Rixon's Short Pole League - Final Round - Woodlands

I now know why I was feeling tired at Thursday match – I now have come down with Easyjet flu. The Special One will not fly with this carrier again, too many poor people on them. I can’t stop coughing at the moment, so it was touch and go whether I stayed home and lazed about or go fishing. Fishing won out as I don’t like letting organisers down especially at the last moment, where would we be without them.

We were promised rain and wind all day and we got it. From the moment I stepped out of the door until I got home it rained, it was bloody cold to boot.

Anyway the day started well with a Jumbo breakfast at the usual café in Burnham, very nice too. Bela reckoned he saw Terry smile, probably wind!

The wind was blowing more or less up the lake slightly into peg 4 (not pegged in the league). So for the Ronnie rig to work I would need to draw down the far end, so put the kit in the place where I have drawn down there. In to the draw box and out comes peg 7. From my point of view this peg has both Silvers and section coin possibilities.  Was amazed when Bela arrived on flyer peg 2 – Again!

A set one margin paste rig which I initially plumbed around down wind to my right, but found the Plummet was catching up marginal depths I forcing me to nearly full depth. So Ronnie rig would be staying dry. I plumbed around into the wind to my left and found I could hang up the plummet in about 2 ½ foot water – OK.  I set up a 4x16 Winter to fish top-set plus two out in front for Skimmers, the presentation was crap as the rig was going with the wind so some hanging on needed. I also set up my new Drennan umbrella which I must say did the job in the strong wind, but was careful to take it down before I got off the box.

I fed the margin with soaked 4’s – no choice here. I fed the Skimmers line with GB laced with maggot, caster and some chopped worm. First put in with worm the float buried and a 2lb Bream was seen flying across the lake, I’m sure it wasn’t even hooked, both fish and angler scaring each other. It took a while to catch a Skimmer; it was quite obvious that my side of the lake was fishing really hard with the angers each side of me having not caught. The upshot was I stayed coughing under the umbrella nicking the odd Skimmer plus a Tench, and only hooking and landing one 5lb Carp. I looked like from some of bubbles coming up that I had an Eel in the peg which was proved right as the float started to move with the wind an Eel then, which felt big but unfortunately the hook pulled, would liked to have seen it though, I like Eel fishing and hope they one day make a return. The upshot was I caught for three hours and practiced catching for the remaining time. The margin was just full of nibblers whom I could have sorted with the Ronnie rig but it just wasn’t right for it today.

I weighed one 5lb 2oz Carp and my Silvers12lb 6oz which was enough for second in the silver AGAIN pick up and wasn’t far off a default section win which I could have achieved if I fished longer in the margin. That’s four pick-ups in the four league matches which paid for my series, which is all I aim to achieve.

The match was won by Two Pots (pictured below with the runner up) by the narrowest margins with 71lb 6oz from peg 11. Glenn caught on…..you know the rest.

The Silvers was won once again by Dave Lewis with 20lb 13oz from peg 24. Dave caught on his usual CW over GB. Dave won the Silvers every league match with me runner up each time. Dave had to leave early so left me to take his keep net and winnings home for him – He’s not getting his net back then we will see how he gets on!

Thanks to Tony for running the league once again.

Now sat eating Ferrero Rocher.

Full Result:




















Weigh Sheet:




1 comment:

Chris Fox said...

Same photo twice, no weigh sheet!