Sunday 17 September 2017

Saturday 17/09/2017 - Ivy House Open - Match Lake and Kingfisher Canal

Another day out with son Steve this time we decided on a closer venue – Ivy House. The match was scheduled for the Match Lake but with 18 fishing today it was decided to split into three sections – two on Match Lake and the third on Kingfisher Canal. Both Steve and I were hoping for the canal, alas not I pull wooden ball 13 – unlucky for some and Steve wooden ball 17 – even unluckier. Sandwiched between us was Andy “Just in Time” Gard on peg 15.

Most anglers wanted peg 10 if not peg 11 on Match Lake. Well the results certainly contradict this.

Start as you finished the last match and the last time I fished Match Lake was 02 Jan 17 when I weighed 8oz for third in the Silvers!! So set up a 4x 14 to fish in the deepest part of the peg at top-set plus three, the Ronnie rig and a paste rig for the margin at top-set plus 2 ½. Bait tray – casters, maggot, micro and 4mm expenders and some GB.

I potted the margin with a big pot of a mix of DR’s and micro, the long line with a smidgen of micro and started to loose feed caster over the Ronnie line. Starting on the long line with 4mm expander I was soon loosing small foul hooked Skimmers. I was getting plenty of indications landing three very small Skimmers (last years spawn I think).  I then had a 5lb Common Carp. That was it on this line even though I tried forcing with some extra feed. I’m a busy angler and can’t sit there and wait for a bite, sometimes I wish I were, which was probably what was needed today – perhaps sit on corn? Knowing that at the moment it is a tall task to compete with Kingfisher for the Silvers, I had to get bites so on came the Ronnie rig. With single caster over the loose feed I caught Ronnie’s for the remaining five hours. They were averaging 3oz so 5 -6 to the pound. With an hour to go I was certainly winning the Silvers on the Match Lake and began to think “what if the Canal Skimmers didn’t feed either”.

Wishful thinking my single Carp weighed 5lb 2oz and the Ronnie’s 24lb 8oz for a total of 29lb 8oz for double second! The section lost by 2lb and the Silvers by much much more. The Match Lake fished hard with my total weight coming third! Steve was just behind me with 25lb 4oz who is the patient one sitting on paste for the last hour.

“If you chase two Rabbits, you will not catch either one”

The match and the Silvers was won by Jason Gooch (pictured below) with 45lb 6oz of Skimmers and a total of 102lb 14oz from Kingfisher peg 4. Jason caught over, down his left and right margins primarily using corn hook bait over corn.


 As can be seen from the weigh sheet Kingfisher fished really well – as can expected with six anglers spread over the 15 pegs. On hindsight it may have been a better if the numbers been reversed between the Match Lake and Kingfisher.

A great day Ronnie fishing and my fishing appetite full and was my stomach after Steve and I dined in Eastern Spice - Curry and Kingfisher - nothing better to end a perfect day.

Full Result:

  1. Jason Gooch 102-14-0 peg 4 Kingfisher
  2. Jason Robinson 81-04-0 peg 8 Kingfisher
  3. Frank 79-12-0 peg 2 Match
Silvers:

  1. Jason Gooch 45-06-0 peg 4 Kingfisher
  2. Mike Nicholls 24-08-0 peg 13 Match
Weigh Sheet:


1 comment:

JG said...

It's definitely the peg Mike, I drew it again yesterday. Not quite the same weights tho!