Monday 21 August 2017

Sunday 20/08/2017 - Tony Rixon's Short Pole Match - Round Three - Chiltern Trinity - Woodlands

Bela and I went for breakfast at the new Hilltops Café (must make a note of the cafes new name) in Burnham-on-Sea, where we found Adrian Jeffery hiding in a corner eating his Liver Breakfast. Very nice breakfast it was too.

I have invested in a new umbrella and should really start taking it with me. What an awful August weather wise, it’s either windy, raining or both. By the end of the match we were all wet and freezing cold.

I have drawn the bottom pegs of the Lake too many times to mention so Bela and I put our gear on the top pegs in hope. Well it worked I was on peg 3 and Bela on fancied peg 2. Opposite me on peg 6 was Martin McMahon and opposite Bela was Joe McMahon on peg 33. With two no shows Tony left all the pegs in the draw and Tony’s draw puts him with two good empty pegs next to him to his left, plus a third which isn’t normally pegged! Oh well luck of the draw.

I haven’t fished this peg before but most of the anglers that walked past didn’t seem to fancy it. I had a plumb around to help decide on what rigs to use. I was surprised to find one foot tight in the LH margin, a metre further out I found two foot levelling. Out at full permitted length I had five foot with it still going deeper, plus the bottom was all over the place. My section included pegs 2, 33 and 32 all of which I knew would beat this peg with Carp. However, I did fancy the peg for Silvers. So set up the Ronnie rig and a 0.2 gram paste rig for dropping in case I got any disruption from Carp. The upshot was I caught small Hybrids and Ronnie’s from start to finish with one interruption and out came an 11lb Mirror Carp on the paste. One further interruption, this time a welcomed 1lb Perch falling to the caster. In the mean while in between his gardening to retrieve snagged rigs (seems to be a habit these days) Bela was catching Carp steady down his RH margin on paste.

I finished with the one 11lb 12oz Carp and 18lb 11oz of mainly Hybrids which was nice to see for second in the Silvers.

The match was won as expected by most by Tony Rixon (pictured upper right) from pegs 11, 12, 13 and 14 with 110lb4oz. Tony caught on his favoured 8mm pellet mostly down his edge. See his Blog for more details….

The Silvers was won by Dave Lewis (pictured right with his catch of Skimmers and Hybrids) with 24lb10oz from peg 24. Dave caught on worm over GB laced with caster and chopped worm.

Bela finished a close second on 10lb behind Tony, I will try and keep him in his peg more fishing instead of gardening and he will start being the Bride. Nonetheless, the van had its triple double bubble today. It was yet another memorable day out with Bela.

Full Result:














Weigh Sheet:


No comments: