Monday 14 August 2017

Sunday 13/08/2017 - Windmill Fishery Open - Carp Lake

Bela and I went to Wetherspoons in Kingswood for breakfast mine was cold and a bit off putting. My left eye was still a bit sore from yesterdays blasting.

The Windmill Match Lake was booked for a club match so we were switched to the Carp Lake. No Silvers today then. However, Terry Smith did put a bounty of £10 on the head of the only Roach in the Lake.

Before the draw we had Magician Dave Willmott reveal one of his tricks of saying he wanted to draw peg 2 in the anticipation that he wouldn’t. Nobody wanted this peg based on no one has weighed in from it!

Into the draw box and out comes peg 8 happy with this as it wasn’t pegs 1 or 2! What does Bela do draw peg 2. Willmott found this funny. Still nothing will faze Bela still his chirpy self and role model for a few I can mention. After I had set up my 0.2 gram paste float I had time to walk round the Lake taking some maggot to Bela for him to try his Bounty hunting skills. Low and behold pegs 1 & 2 were the only swims I seen with signs of feeding Carp with at least five topping before I returned to my swim. Passing Willmott I did say “He who laughs last…” and predicted Bela would win from peg 2 today.

The picture right is looking from my end of the lake to where Bela was pegged. It was bright sunny conditions and little to no wind today very unusual for Windmill. If I could swap the wind conditions with yesterdays I would have, resulting in more fish from both venues.

Fished paste over hard 4’s with all match, having a good two hours catching really small Carp to 2lb. The last four hours were really difficult and had to switch swims to keep the odd Carp coming. I did have an 8lb Carp. I even went to 13 metres but not for long! With ten minutes to go I noticed a wind knot in my 0.18 line close to the hook. Too close to the end of the match to change, isn’t it? Bad angling as five minutes to go I hooked a double and yes the line broke on the knot, only myself to blame and thought it may cost me second place.

I weighed 37lb 15oz hanging on to second overall.

As predicted by me which delighted me no end, Bela (pictured right with the runner up) won the match with 56lb fishing paste over softened 4’s. Well done matey.

Dave Willmott has said he’s not ever going to fish the Carp Lake again – we will see. I think its different fishing and very interesting especially a Lake without any Silvers. The fish in this Lake are yet to get accustomed to match fishing. In addition we need to understand the best pegging options.

Ronnie Roach wasn’t troubled today and still roams free.

It was back to Bar-gar-age for Bela and I for some more than usual Pinky Ponk Juice.

Full Result:

  1. Bela Bakos 56-0-0 peg 2
  2. Mike Nicholls 37-15-0 peg 8
  3. Bob Richards 31-15-0 peg 11
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: