Friday 21 July 2017

Thursday 20/07/2017 - Bathampton AA over 55's - Dave Crookes Fishery - Bridge Pool

Exactly same order of play as last match here, except I drew disable peg 8, two pegs away. The company was different on my left was City fan Dave Gillard, who insisted wearing a red top and Gas Head Pete Greenslade to my right – some banter ensued.

Same rigs except I chose a 4x16 because this peg is much deeper than peg 10. The Ronnie rig wasn’t going to do the short line either because of the depth which was more or less the same from top-set 9 foot, to three sections out. The Ronnie rig was set to margin depth so I could fish the margin at depth and out in front shallow.

I started by loose feeding casters in the margin and one ball of GB laced with the usual bits at top distance and another ball at two sections. The result was more or less as last match catching a couple of Skimmers on caster or DR’s then Ronnie’s and Perch on caster. The only difference today I caught more 2lb Skimmers. The longer line wasn’t tested until the last hour where I was sent to avoid the Carp which resulted in just one Skimmer and some tiny Ronnie’s.

In the last hour my margin was full of Carp I think it’s about time we were able to weigh them in. It’s the only fishery I know where seasonal fish you catch don’t get count in matches. This is probably the reason match attendances are falling.

What I like about how these matches are run is that you are only fishing for a podium place because the payouts are the same for framers (subject to numbers fishing), so able to experiment in match conditions.

I weighed 31lb 8oz of Slivers for second overall (pictured left).

The match was won by matey Rich Coles (pictured upper right with the runner up) with a good weight of 40lb 2oz from peg 21. Rich caught on worm fished over GB laced with casters and DR’s. Rich caught three Tench and three bream in the first hour estimated at 20lb, so a head start on us all then. Rich caught at seven sections towards the bay to his left.

Usual suspects back for a beer. I think Chris Orris was put off coming because someone suggested it was his round!!

Full Result:

  1. Rich Coles 40-02-0 peg 21
  2. Mike Nicholls 31-08-0 peg 8
  3. John Fry 26-08-0 peg11
  4. Alan Jones 25-12-0 peg 18
  5. Chris Orris 24-08-0 peg 14
  6. Steve Dawson 22-06-0 peg 16
Weigh Sheets:




No comments: