Monday 24 July 2017

Sunday 24/07/2017 - Tony Rixon's Short Pole Match - Round Two - Chiltern Trinity - Woodlands

On my lonesome today how this makes the journeys seem so much longer. If Bela wasn’t here today he would probably be home resting from a hard week roofing.

Into the draw tin and out comes peg 18 – AGAIN. I bloody hate this peg. The platform is so high off the water you need a drop net. Also the margins are all but impossible to fish with paste due to them being so steep 45 degrees from 0 foot to 9 foot, plus this is the deepest peg on the lake. The paste just keeps rolling down, especially today with the wind hammering in to the peg causing a severe undertow away from the bank. So with pegs 15 and 17 in my section the only way to coin was the Silvers. On peg 17 was Mr and Mrs so section going here then.

Chris Ollis (aka Orris or O’Zone) arrived and stood all match between me and Tony. He’s has now booked in for the next match here. Chris is now a fully fledged Ronnie rig and 8mm pellet carp slayer.

I set up a 0.3 Barnett paste rig (good news Stewart coming back from Ozland). A Ronnie rig and a 4x10 Winter to fish the margin in tight with caster. I started on the caster and Ronnie and I soon had attracted Carp the tell tale sign being no Ronnie’s about. In went the paste on the LH side and I just couldn’t present it correctly, the result being a lost foul hooked Carp. On the bright side it did allow the Ronnie’s in on the caster feed. I could catch one-a-bung but they were small 1-2oz, as were the bottle top Skimmers (but nice to see these). The wind was a nightmare for the long lining so shortened up which was much better. From what I could see it was fishing hard so felt I needed a Paste line so had a plumb around and found a spot close to the RH side of the platform where the paste would hold. Having fed some really old smelly dead reds here I went in with the Paste and lost another fouler. I then had a 5lb Carp followed by a very welcome 3lb Tench – a beautiful fish worth coming just for this one. Re-fed the line and although I fished it again I lost more foul hookers landing one more decent Carp I gave the paste up and stayed on the Ronnie’s, catching another Carp which needed a lot of luck to get it out on this rig. The other caster rig was tried but not with any enthusiasm, just a few more Ronnie’s.

My Silvers weighed 12lb 7oz for second Silvers pool with my three Carp weighing 15lb 1oz for a total of 27lb 8oz.

The match won by Jason Radford (pictured right hiding behind the weigh net) from peg 2 with 147lb 8oz. Jason caught on hard pellet fished shallow in his RH margin at top-set plus three – maximum allowed. Jason fed nothing for the first two hour during which he reckons he caught 100lb.

The Silvers was won by matey Dave Lewis (pictured upper right) aka Dave The Drain with 38lb 15oz from peg 9. Dave caught on worm over GB laced with caster and worm. Dave fished top-set plus two and a bit sections out in front.

Dave and I go back too many years. I remember we went on a double header match at Moorlands Farm – Breakfast – Match – Roast dinner – Match. These were well attended matches. The new method was the floating pole, which consisted of a piece of strong 10 inch line with a 14 hook attached with a 6mm piece of meat impaled. You placed 11.5 metres of pole down on the platform between your feet, freeing both hands to catapult pieces of meat at the pole tip. You just waited until the pole tip started to move and hey presto a Carp hooked. I found this hilarious and couldn’t stop laughing all day. This made me realise how stupid and easy Commercial Carp are to catch. If I remember correctly every angler had between 100lb and 200lb during each match. At the end of the day John was knackered from weighing in so many fish and announced he was banning the method. I’ve not heard of it used since and surprised it’s not use at Fisheries that hasn’t banned it. Nice to have Dave back fishing great company and an excellent no frills Angler.

There were a number of early baths today especially one - Phil Harding aka Fabio fell head first in trying to recover his pole, he fished on for a short while but the wind was too cold. Unfortunately no one caught it on camera.

Torrential rain driving home all but stopped the traffic on the M5! The Kids holidays must have started.

Full Result:





















Weigh Sheet:


No comments: