Saturday 20 May 2017

Saturday 20/05/2017 - Mathern Mill Fishery - Silvers Only Match - Bottom Lake

It was the second new fishery for me this year – Mathern Mill Fishery. A silver only match organised by Norman Sterry. Geoff Francis and Tim Ford joined me in the trip over the bridges! First stop where we met up with Norman and George Sumusion was the Chepstow Wetherspoons, luckily there was a pay and display dead opposite. According to the Satnav it would be 25 minutes, but the twats had closed the Old Bridge adding 15 minutes to our trip. Unfortunately Tim Ford missed the two 20 feet warning signs and continued down the M48 and had to turn round.

Into the draw hat where I was immediately confused by what was in there. Out came half a clothes line peg with number SEVEN written on it, not a clue until everyone who asked me what peg I was on turned there nose up at. Arriving at the peg I had Mr and Mrs Gabe on peg 6 and George on peg 8. I was just off the end of the Island, so I asked Gabe if I could share just a bit of the end which was only just in his peg, alas not.

Expecting lots of Rudd, Roach and Skimmers, which was my target. I did erect the waggler but it stayed fishless. I set up the Ronnie rig which I thought might not be that effective because it is was quite shallow close in. The full depth was five foot at 5 metres. Because of this I set up the 4 metres whip which did get me to full depth, finally a 4x14 F1 Winter for the Skimmers at any length as the depth was fairly consistent.

I feed the top-set plus two line with some of my Skimmer GB laced wit DR’s which was conveniently also over the 4 metre whip line. However, I started on the Ronnie rig with caster and as I suspected it was too shallow but did have a couple of Rudd and a lost 2lb Chub. Out on the 4 metre whip and I wasn’t catching as anticipated – on the drop. I had a few more Rudd and some small Skimmers. It was obvious the venue wasn’t fishing to expectations, I think with the Silvers spawning and the bloody weather had something to do with it. So on to the Skimmer rig which I stayed on for the remainder of the match gradually adding sections out to top-set plus four, catching the odd Rudd, Skimmer and hooking huge Carp! I knew there was plenty of Skimmers around because I foul hooked seven of them and it was 15 minutes to go when I called it a day as I was now biteless.

I weighed 15lb 8oz which was par on the day. You definitely either need some space or an island chuck on the waggler so couldn’t understand why a couple of Island pegs were left out on the far side. Gabe next door did beat me but he was help by his Missis who kept shouting Ryby Ryby, to encourage Gabe to strike.

The match was won by organiser Norman Sterry (pictured upper right with his catch) with 34lb 14oz from fancied peg 25. Norman caught eight Chub on the waggler and maggot and some Skimmers on the pole.

Phil Weaver was opposite me and abandoned fishing for Silvers switching instead to Carp to get a days fishing. Phil had eight munters to over 20lb. One he had pictured right.

To finish off a perfect day it was back to the Griffin for a couple of pints and a steak and Chip’s. I certainly will be back to the venue as it is close even though it’s in a foreign country. Want to have a go at the large Carp with the paste.

Full Result:

  1. Norman Sterry 34-14-0 peg 25
  2. Rich Candy 34-12-0 peg 17
  3. Tim Ford 25-13-0 peg 2
  4. Andy Gard 23-02-0 peg 11
  5. Gabe 20-06-0 peg 6
  6. Mike Nicholls 15-08-0 peg 7
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: