Thursday 6 April 2017

Thursday 06/04/2017 - Ray's Rip-off - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

Wetherspoons was my first stop with Geoff Francis, the temperature was four degrees on the way but on the way home it was 16 degrees, can only happen during spring in England.

Considering the spring weather I expected a good turn out, but only nine pegs were in the draw bag. In I go and regular at the moment peg 24 comes out. This peg is one of the deepest pegs at 9 foot. For company I had Andy “Park yer Bike” Gard on peg 22 and Carp Slayer Geoff Francis on peg 26. Little to no wind again so float would go with the wind, sun off my back – for a while, and ended up with a burnt left ear.

I had previously decided to try 4mm meat over micro as I was hoping to catch the bigger Skimmers because last year they seem to come to the meat. So I bought a bag of fishery micro (no discount for OAP’s). So set up 4x16 Malman F1 to fish at top-set plus three. I also set up the Ronnie rig just in case. I started by feeding 10 piece of 4mm meat and a smidgen of micro. The outcome was seven small Carp and two tiny Skimmers. Meanwhile Andy Gard and Geoff were bagging Carp from the far bank. Luckily I had the Ronnie rig to hand and start on it using single DR’s over GB. This worked reasonably well so stayed with it all match. Most of the Skimmers I caught had all been savaged by Cormorants as can be seen from the Skimmer I am holding in the picture. I did lose a 3lb Tench in the Sedges due to a bit of bad luck and bad angling.

One hour into the match we all heard a large penny drop from peg 27 which was occupied by match organiser Ray Bazeley. He was on the wrong peg. We said he could stay there’, but pride took over and he chuck back 2nd Silvers – fair play. I said I wouldn’t mention this nor change the weigh sheet to add TWAT.

My Carp weighed 12lb 10oz and the Silvers 14lb (pictured right) for a total of 26lb 10oz for a Silvers win.

Having given Geoff Francis (pictured upper right with some of his catch) some tips on pole fishing which he started on and abandoned after 30 minutes preferring to fish the lead over to the far bank using 8mm banded pellet over loose fed 6’s. This method led Geoff landing 78lb 8oz. Geoff fed two pints of 6’s throughout the match. Well done mate, best not listen to me!!

The ring road was chocker, but still we had time for a double bubble pair pint on the home.

Full Result:

  1. Geoff Francis 78-08-0 peg 26
  2. Andy Gard 59-08-0 peg 22
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 14-0-0 peg 24
  2. Alan Jones 4-14-0 peg 2
Weigh Sheet:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike

Good blog as always.

I'm interested to know if you can share more about your famous Ronnie Rig.

Is it always the same rig regardless of depth?
Do you fish it on an elasticated whip to hand or is it short line?

Would love to know more




Silverfox Match Angling said...

I intend to cover it in detail in a future blog.