Thursday 9 February 2017

Thursday 09/02/2017 - Rays Rip Off - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

The President of Carps AC – John Bennett passed away this week. All of the South West match anglers will know John from the matches he ran over many years. John accommodated all match anglers, bringing some innovation to match fishing, and in doing so, contributed a lot towards commercial match fishing. Rest in Peace matey.

On a lighter note, it’s a happy birthday to Bela today, the “Special Ones” favourite.

Arriving at the “The CafĂ©” in Hanham Road it was 2 degrees when I came out it was 1 degree. The forecast was for the “Beast from the East”. It was a beast of a wind, but came in from the North East. Seventeen hardy soles started the match including two from Wales, so we left the roof open. Unfortunately only eight finished it!  With my preferred pegging coming up trumps, in winter need to peg where the fish are rather than give “room”.

There were a couple of events involving me today. Ray Bazeley had transferred the pegs from the draw box in to his hat I thought I was first in and whilst putting my disc back in to the draw box noticed two pegs remaining which I quickly transferred to Rays hat before I realised I was third into the draw! Ray soon had it sorted in his normal style.

My peg for the day was 24, same as last Rays Rip Off match when I caught about 130 tiny silver fish for near 5lb but no Carp. For company on the Left was Lee Waller, I recommended he sit back on the back platform so if he fell forward he land on the front platform instead on going for a swim. On the other side on peg 23 was Bob “The Bread” Price who last week had his tackle stolen from his garage, obviously not a match angler – watch out for anyone selling a full set of tackle for £10!!

So it was a question of starting where I finished the last match which was on the Ronnie rig. I caught two Ronnie’s and two Rudd straight off on Pinkie, it then died. In the meantime Lee was caching small Skimmers regularly at 13 metres over GB. So for any chance of coin today it would have to target the Carp. I had fed a maggot line at top-set plus four for the Carp switching to a black topped 4x16 F1 winter it took a while to catch my first Carp a 4lb Common. I kept the odd Carp coming on the maggot until the tow against the wind picked up and I had three 3oz Skimmers very quickly. I then hooked a 2lbish Skimmer which snagged me close in – unusual I’m thinking, I believe the Skimmer came off and soon discovered the snag was a top-set with a 2lb Carp attached to the rig. I found this hilarious playing a fish on two top-sets, landing both, the Carp went in my net, the float went in my box, I tried the top-set on my pole but it didn’t fit. Apparently the top-set belonged to Dave Willmott who was fishing 70 metres away on peg 10. It looked like a cheap top-set so sold it back to Dave for the price of a pint not realising it cost £80! The upshot was I stayed on this line for the remainder of the match landing seven Carp to 5lb losing two foulers in the process.

My Silvers weighed 2lb and my Carp (and Dave’s) weighed 33lb 10oz this put me third overall.

Even though we left the roof open the match was won by Steve Shaw (pictured right) with 63lb 4oz from peg 1. Steve caught the majority of his fish on 8mm hard pellet on the lead fished five foot from the far bank feeding hard 8’s over the top. Well done Boyo.

The Silvers was won by Steve Dawson (pictured right with his catch with a near 2lb Perch) with 6lb 3oz from peg 27. Steve caught on triple red Pinkie over expander pellet fed using a bait dropper.

I enjoyed the day but it would have been much better if it wasn’t for the beast from the North east.

Back to the pub where there was some Mickey taking. I am now looking at pictures of Wayne Sleep on the internet. Umm.

Full Result:

  1. Steve Shaw 63-04-0 peg 1
  2. John Osborne 47-13-0 peg 28
  3. Mike Nicholls 35-10-0 peg 2
Silvers:

  1. Steve Dawson 6-03-0 peg 27
  2. Andy Gard 5-09-0 peg 32
  3. Lee Waller 4-12-0 peg 25
Weigh Sheet:




No comments: