Thursday 2 February 2017

Thursday 02/02/2017 - Bathampton AA - Silvers League - Round Three - Bridge Pool

Third round of the Bathampton AA Silvers League, however, first stop Hungry Horace’s for an OK Speedwell breakfast.

The weather forecast was for heavy rain and high gusting winds. The latter was right with I reckon 50 mph gusts, thankfully with the rain holding off.

Our turn in C section, I didn’t mind which peg as long as it wasn’t peg 13. Are you reading this Bela!

First into the draw and out comes peg 19 – a sigh of relief. Peg 13 was reserved for the organiser Chris Rolfe. I was happy with my peg, especially as I was 30 feet from the car and relatively out of the wind which nonetheless was to be a bloody nuisance. As I was section end peg I was next to Glenn “Gas Lottery Winner” Bailey who was on peg 17, with Pete Greenslade on peg 16 and John Smith on 15, can only be "Gas Head" corner.

Luckily my favourite peg 18 has been left out of the league so I had plenty of room. I set up the Ronnie rig which had a 2 minute run out before being retired into the stands. Two other rigs a 4x16 Malman F1 and a 4x10 Malman F1 winter for down the LH margin. For some unknown reason I was fancying the caster today, perhaps it was the colour of the Lake. I started at top-set plus three out in front with double DR’s hook bait over a nugget of GB. I also started to loose feed some caster down the margin, but because of the unpredictable wind direction soon stopped because none of the feed was landing where I wanted, most landing on the bank! I started really slow  - caching nothing for 30 minutes whilst Glenn and others were catching small Skimmers. I Start to think the worse, the first match three small Roach, second match a DNW from the peg. After which I then decided to feed some caster at top-set plus four at 2-o-clock, a good decision as it proved. Over the GB I started to get what I believed to be liners. So I took 6 inches off and fishing on the drop and a 2lb Skimmer, dead handy. Next put-in a 3lb Tench. I was right the fish were up in the water. The swim slowed so tried the caster rig and first try another 3lb Tench – happy days. By feeding and switching between the two swims I kept a few small fish coming on the GB line and quality Skimmers, Tench and Roach on the caster line. The GB line died so added another section just in time for the wind to pick up – bugger. So time to try the margin where I had switched to cupping caster and caught more quality Perch, Roach and another Tench. Surprisingly I also had five 3oz Chub but no Carp.

I finished the match with four Tench to 4lb, five decent Perch to 1lb, Skimmers to 2lb and quality Roach to 1lb all adding up to a great days fishing, weighing 28lb 4oz for a section and match win. The caster did it for me once again. My catch pictured right.

Full Result:

A Section: Callum Dicks 6-04-0 peg 3
A Section: Dave Willmott 4-02-0 peg 4
B Section: Shaun Tanner 11-07-0 peg 8
B Section: Tony Rixon 10-10-0 peg 5
C Section: Mike Nicholls 28-04-0 peg 19
C Section: John Smith 10-02-0 peg 15
D Section: Steve Dawson 10-12-0 peg 26
D Section: Dave Wride 9-01-0 peg 29

Weigh Sheets:




No comments: