Thursday 26 January 2017

Thursday 26/01/2017 - Ray's Rip-off - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

My Apprentice Pensioner Geoff Francis had a day off today so to fish Ray’s Rip off. Paul Haines recommended we try “The CafĂ©” In Hanham Road but he did say the breakfasts were a bit on the big side. I intentionally didn’t pass this Intel on to Geoff who went for the Big One. Geoff struggle a few time to “regroup the troops”. He’s no Bela.

Donald Trump has talked a lot of nonsense especially about a wall on the Mexican border, doesn’t he realise there is already a bloody great high laser wire fence already erected! But today he at last worked his way on to my page; whilst the Islamic Scum Bags cut heads off innocent people we give them three meals a day – a wide gap.

Credit where credit is due Ray Bazeley does organise a good cost cutter and today it was another of Ray’s Rip off’s at the Windmill Fishery. I decided to peg the match as I think I now know enough about the venue, plus some peggers don’t take notice of the weather conditions which was predicted to have a freezing cold wind from the SE. I wanted to peg 32/31 round to peg 22 where all the fish seemed to be at the moment, plus most of us would have the wind off our backs. However, I got shanghaied by Dave Haines who wanted peg 21 in. Sorry Ray that you drew peg 21, the only DNW.

I drew peg 24 lower down than I would have chosen, but without doubt a great summer peg. I initially only set up one rig the same as Sunday where I had the same 9 foot of water at top-set plus three. I also fed the same DR’s with a smidgen of wetted micro and with double DR on the hook I spent 30 minutes trying to present in a veering wind, I then noticed for the first time in three months a few small fish topping. So out came the Ronnie rig with an 808 size 20 hook and with single Pinkie on the hook had a 1oz Ronnie first cast. The loose feed was also Pinkie but noted they were sinking very slowly and with a strong tow on against the wind I had to work out where I put in. The upshot was I caught about 130 small Ronnie’s and Rudd occasional trying the long line which was regularly topped up. I could get quicker bites on this line from the small Silvers but most came off the hook due to the compromise elastic. I did have a difficult hour where I couldn’t get a bite on the Ronnie rig which I think this was due to me feeding a predator in to the peg.

My Ronnie’s weighed 4lb 8oz for one out of a pick-up, but was pleased to see those small fish feeding again, essential for a winter match lake. Bloody freezing nearing the end I had difficulty baiting up.

The match was won by Dave Haines (pictured right after buying a round in the after match visit to the pub) with 10lb 2oz from peg 29. Dave caught on the straight led to the far bank using red maggot hook bait. His catch consisted of three small Carp.

The Silvers was won by Dave Willmott with 5lb 8oz from peg 28. Dave did a Harry Houdini 30 minutes from the end so no details.


Full Result and Weigh Sheet:


No comments: