Sunday 15 January 2017

Sunday 15/01/2017 - Windmill Open - Match Lake

First stop the Beefeater with Geoff Francis. Geoff was below par today resting a few times through his breakfast, first time he slowed I thought I should call an ambulance! Cant believed I finished before him.

Fourteen booked in today good to see that the pools have more or less reverted back to what old Terry was doing. Pools paid and into the draw box and peg 8 staring back at me again. Before I got excited I checked if it was end peg again, alas not as both pegs 10 and 13 were in the box, and then I found out that peg 8 was also golden – another curse of the golden peg then – hopefully not.

On my right occupying peg 6 was Bob the Bread who had started on a large feeder and for a few casts I started to run for the life belt! Bob tried his Mummified pole a few times remaining biteless all match.

I had won both the Silvers and match from this peg last week and had a bit of learning to apply. So same rig and same, same - hook bait and feed. My experience over the years has taught me never to expect the same results from any peg, match angling is not prescriptionable. As last match I didn’t expect to catch early and I didn’t taking 45 minutes before I netted my first Carp on double DR’s, next put-in another Carp so 10lb now in the net. John Osborne on peg 10 had also had two Carp. I then struggled for any kind of fish whereas John Osborne just kept catching Carp after Carp. I went for one lap of the lake to get rid of the rigamortis that had set in. I was amazed that only three anglers had caught any Silvers. Last year I could catch at least 5lb from any peg – strange. Back in the saddle and two more bites which only one was hooked properly so I ended the match with no silvers which wasn’t through trying and three Carp for 14lb 5oz and no where.

The match was won as I suspected very early by John Osborne (pictured upper right with some of his catch of Carp) with 129lb 2oz from peg 10. John caught at 16 metres out in front using double DR’s over kindered potted DR’s. Well done John you fished a tidy match I know as my neck is still aching. Interestingly new terry said that the only peg frozen over yesterday was peg 10, start theorising.

The Silvers was won by Steve Sewell (pictured right) with 6lb 7oz from peg 27. Steve caught at 13 metres with maggot hook bait fished over crushed expander feed. Well done matey miles ahead of the rest of us.

Full Result:

  1. John Osborne 129-02-0-peg 10
  2. Gerry Walsh 50-12-0 peg 25
  3. Andrew Cranston 35-08-0 peg 29
Top Silver:

  1. Steve Sewell 6-07-0 peg 27
  2. Ade Crawley 1-11-0 peg 32
Weigh Sheet:




No comments: