Wednesday 28 December 2016

Review of 2016

January - April: Decided to reduce the amount of compulsory matches during the winter months and sacrificed the Viaduct Winter League choosing to stay local selecting instead to fish the Windmill Fishery Thursday Silvers League run by Ray Bazeley. It was an eight match series which took me to the beginning of April. The first match I got wrong but otherwise had a good series winning the knockout and series runner up, picking up in seven of the eight matches. Tony Rixon rightly winning the series especially as for one match he had stand-in Des Shipp in his section. The only change to the series format would to have a free draw every match instead of being locked in with the same section anglers for each half the series. Only one other venue visited during this time – Harescombe a favourite of mine the fishing being particularly to my liking as is the company. This particular match was won by youngster Ryan Summerhayes, who had just passed his driving test. I experimented with videos and bought various waterproof cameras, definitely need a cameraman as it is almost impossible to film anything sensible whilst match fishing on your own, plus as was pointed out I’m not the best orator.

April – May: Up to mid-May I spent fishing either Harescombe Thursday matches or Windmill Sunday matches with satisfying results and most importantly plenty of bites. Both Fisheries suit my style of fishing catching mainly on top-set with one and two sections, no thrashing about with 16 metres of pole needed, if it is ever needed.

May: Was the start of Tony Rixon’s Short Pole match at Chiltern Trinity - Woodlands and also his popular Float Only League. Unfortunately I could only fish half the short pole matches. It was my first visit of the year to the incredible Viaduct Fishery for the first of the float only’s managing a mere 3 points with 103lb! But I did beat two from peg 111. The Shaun Townsend evening “Just Turn Up” matches started at the end of May so tried one and I was blown into submission not quite making the end of the match, lost all the feeling in my hands. I fished another two of his matches and picked up in both just missing out on £100 golden peg by 2lb weighing 120lb! The Curse of the Golden Peg.

June: Anglers favourite month, well anglers my age that can remember the excitement of June the 16th and getting out for the first match on the rivers after three months of polishing tackle. I have tried to keep the excitement going by organising our June weeks fishing holiday at Viaduct with the 16th in it. We had another great week with Tim Ford, Glenn Bailey, Martyn Woodington, Geoff Francis and Gordon Cannings all great company both on the bank ans off  – what goes on tour stays on tour! We are booked in for 2017 with Martyn Woodington counting down the days to when he can have another go at driving backwards and forwards over my five keep nets. During the week I ran two short pole (top-set plus three) matches on Campbell which proved very popular. Interestingly the weights are not affected, with less foul hooked fish. I think we should all be fishing CIPS 13 metre maximum pole rules even after BREXIT.

July: Was the start of the Amalgamation Autumn eight match series fished at Sabre Lake and Tockenham Reservoir. I really enjoyed fishing Sabre Lake as it has lots of quality Silvers, especially Roach. Unfortunately, the organisation was not to my liking – enough said. Glenn Bailey aka “Two Pots” talked me into fishing Bob Sheppard’s Three Dayer at Viaduct – Campbell Lake. Thought I might do OK with paste on the pole but got battered by the lead chucker’s, unfortunately no Silvers pool, so no coin for me. That said the standard of angling was very high, not the mugging event that Glynn promised me. We stayed at the Globe Inn which does serve great food especially the Carvery night, however, the rooms leave a lot to desire.

August: The Windmill Fishery - South Gloucester show matches were fished over a Saturday and Sunday with Silvers only on the first day and all in on the second. Luckily I drew well winning the Silvers with us all getting battered by Carp in the process. So we were expecting good weights the following day. Although I drew a reasonable peg and started
well putting 33lb in the net in the first hour – that was it, I couldn’t even catch any Silvers over the next 5 hours! Because everyone suffered a similar experience I managed to sneak in last in the big money. As I have suspected the Silvers fed well the day before and switched off which also affects the Carp feeding. Get Silvers feeding in the peg and the Carp will soon be nosing about. A profitable weekend for many of us as the matches are heavily sponsored. Tony had one of his float only’s at Shiplate Farm Fishery, it has to be said this is one of the best kept fisheries I fished. Because of the numbers fishing a section was put on a pond called “Squircle” apparent two circular stock ponds joined by a rectangle, which I drew on. As expected because it was a small pond with loads of small Carp it suited me, breaking the pond record with 71lb 12oz. The fishery usually gives £100 for Lake records during matches, but it wasn’t to be, was this because Bela broke Hawthorns record with 208lb and The Trig broke the Main Lake record with 222lb all in the same match, after all a match record is a match record! Both the Tony’s leagues came to an end with Tony winning his short pole and Trigger winning the Float Only “Some say he can’t count any higher than section first, all I know it’s The Trig who won the Float Only with a perfect score”.


September: I spent most of the month fishing Windmill Fishery. There have been plenty of negative comments about this fishery mainly from people that hasn’t fished it. Over the year I have grown to understand it and has become a favourite venue of mine. I fished it 32 times and picked up 28 times. This month the Viaduct Silvers League started with 55 quality South West anglers fishing, plenty of competition which is what we all look for.

October - November: Spent my time between, Windmill, Viaduct Silvers League and Harescombe in 15 visits this year I picked up 12 times.  I like the 5 hour matches as it gets me home early. At the end of November I took my first visit of the year to Hillview Fishery in Tewksbury, enjoying a peg to peg battle with Huggy.

December: The Dave Crookes fishery aka Huntstrete was re-opened after the dreaded KHV. I have read a few articles on this virus and concluded that high water temperatures is a key factor, might be worth trying closing Lakes when the water temperature reaches 15.5 Celsius to minimise Carp stress. I fished the Coffin Dodgers Christmas match on Bridge Pool. Also fished the one at Windmill, which was Terry’s last match before he retired. Lots of comments made about his Buffoonery, which I sometimes enjoyed. One thing I can guarantee he will be missed mainly because he did a lot for match anglers, in particular the financial sponsorships. I had a reasonable Viaduct Silvers League until I drew the dreaded 132 and next to Bela for the third time, the man is a jinx, plenty of Carp here as subsequent open matches proved. The final match I drew well peg 69 on Lodge Lake, winning the match on the waggler and caster, feeding ¼ pint all day. As with most matches I came away
thinking “what if” and this match was no exception. An hour to go I swopped to a bigger waggler at the same time the fishing tailed off, so was it the switch or did the Skimmers stop feeding, might have been the Carp becoming active, will never know. This qualified me for the all winner’s finals. All through the league I beat every angler each side of me and managed 12th overall and finished in pocket which is my primary aim. The league was won by Matt Tomes, a popular winner especially for me. 

2017: I’m not sure what will happen with Windmill Fishery at the moment rumour indicates it will let out on lease. Not necessarily a bad thing for match anglers.

Ivy House may figure more in my match calendar as Andy is restocking his Match Lakes and digging a new Lake for F1’s and Silvers.May also try the over 60's on Wednesdays which has just started.

I hope that the fishery management at The Dave Crookes Fishery leaves the Lakes alone, free from fish movement and Siltexing giving nature a chance.

I have been publishing one of our South West Legends Scrap book - Mr Colin Golding which will run into 2017. Amazing record and some interesting history.

I have been thinking on how we can get all the small 20 pegs matches together and have some bigger opens.Perhaps the larger fisheries can take a turn in running 50 + peg matches.

Back in the day when I was running the Bathampton Juniors I was getting 40  + youngsters on the banks all keen to fish matches. Then there was the Silver Dace Juniors that organised a Junior Summer League with 8 teams of six anglers. Match angling is lacking this and something needs to be done now if our sport is to be saved. The Angling Trust has started the Talent Pathway which focuses on a small number of the more talented juniors from each region which isn't nearly enough. Tackle manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers need to invest heavily in their own future. This investment could be either by providing funds to angling clubs or employment of  full time Junior organising officers in each region. 

Finally: I found this cutting right in my scrap book. Bela always managed to catch a Bream or two on the River – a confidence thing. I was also sent the picture of him with a net of Irish Bream – recognise him. Next year will be our 10th year of travelling together.



The Facts and Figures:


No comments: