Sunday 20 November 2016

Sunday 20/11/2016 - Hillview Open - Moorhen and the Four Canals

With Bela fishing the Westerleigh league I teamed up with Martin Rayett and choosing to go back to my commercial roots – Hillview Fishery. First time back for 1 ½ years how time fly’s. Keith Hill hasn’t changed a bit, still doing the cooking and Martin and I had our large breakfast in front of us in double quick time. I slipped two of my sausages on “One Chews” plate, not sure he noticed.

Considering the weather is was a good turn out with 35 fishing. With a club match on Heron that left us spread over Moorhen and the four Canals. I didn’t mind where I drew as long as it was a Canal. Second in to the Woolley hat (yes Keith is still using it). I had my wish drawing 77 middlish of Canal 3.

Arriving at my peg there was plenty of Carp swimming around up in the water. I decided to set up two rigs a 4x12 F1 Titan for down the track at top-set plus two in 5 foot of water and a 4x10 F1 Winter Titan for the LH margin where I had 3 foot of water up to the hay bale and over to the far bank if need be.

The margin was feed with an equal mix of micro and dead reds. I started down the track with 4mm expander over a smidgen of kindered micro. I didn’t have to wait long to net my first F1. Over the next hour I caught F1’s and small Carp to 3lb steady, topping up with minimal micro. The swim subsequently started to die. Carp had surrounded my float and were encircling it. I think this had the effect of switching the feeding fish off. There were signs of fish blowing over the pellet and fancied there might be some better Carp to be caught. I spent far too long nearly an hour trying to catch these phantom Carp. So I tried the margin with a bunch of dead reds only to be rewarded with two Gudgeon. The margin swim was subsequently abandoned. I opened another swim at top-set plus three again with 4mm pellet over micro and had another good hour before it again went iffy. Nearing the end I upped the feed only to have a frustrating period foul hooking.

Come the end I thought that Huggy on next peg 55 had just beaten me as he had caught bigger fish on maggot over loose fed maggot. And that’s what happened I weighed 55lb 8oz to Huggy’s 64lb. Martin had drawn on Canal 4 and won the Canal from peg 91 with 61lb dobbing 10 mm bread.

The match was won by Francis Porter (pictured right pointing to his winning peg on Moorhen Lake) landing 28 Carp to 10lb for 135lb 8oz. Francis fished the waggler 2/3 out with the depth set at 6 foot, he wasn’t sure where this was in relation to the bottom as he didn’t plumb up. All his Carp fell to triple red maggot hook bait. Francis had a cheap day out because he didn’t feed anything all day! Well done matey.

I forgot how good this fishery is in the winter. I will soon be back again.

Full Result:

  1. Francis Porter 135-08-0 peg 16
  2. Craig Edmonds 102-12-0 peg 8
  3. Adrian 99-12-0 peg 18
  4. Billy Hill 75-0-0 peg 42
  5. Andy Bruton 66-0-0 peg 19
  6. Huggy 64-0-0 peg 75
Weigh Sheets:





















No comments: