Sunday 25 September 2016

Sunday 25/09/2016 - Windmill Open - Match Lake

First visit with Bela was the Beefeater where I left my Banana behind. Into the draw box and out comes peg 2 – a golden peg! Really fancied the peg as it has a great RH margin.

I set up the Ronnie rig – caster/caster, a 4x16 Jolly to fish the top-set out in front in 5 foot of water with 4mm expander over the Gabe and finally a 0.15 Paste rig to fish into the wind on my right in 30 inches of water (perfect depth I’m thinking).

For company on peg 3 I had the “Wozzy” Stuart Barnett. I was surprised to see a float maker not having any floats with him as he started to chuck some sort of feeder system about. I thought of asking Stu for some lessons, but first cast he hooked a Duck, then the Island in fact in the first 15 minutes he lost five hook lengths. He declined the loan of one of the floats he just made me!!

Because it was a Golden peg I was tempted to go out and out for the Carp, but sensibility prevailed and decided to fish it as I normally do. So I fed a ball of neat Gabe on the top-set line and started to heavily (compromise here) loose feed the RH margin with caster. Starting on the expander I was soon regularly catching four to the pound Skimmers. I kept topping up for the first couple of hours until it slowed. Tried the Ronnie rig but only snared few Rudd. Thinking the Carp might have moved in I tried the paste which sat there until it was blown off the hook. So I sacrificed this, the Ronnie line for Carp and started to heavily feed pellet. Back put on the Skimmer line and could catch the odd fish. I kept trying the paste which only resulted in two Carp. So time for the Banana walk without a Banana. From what I could gather 60 lb was winning it. I was well behind this and didn’t think I could catch up even if I had a last blast so settled down to catch the 4 oz Skimmers. I was continually joined by Mr. Rat and his gang feeding on my poorly fed bait.

I reckon I had 90 Skimmers which weighed 15lb 12oz for a Silvers win (pictured upper right). The two Carp weighed 12lb 4oz totalling 28lb.

As it transpired I made the right decision to initially fish for the Silvers because the Carp didn’t really have a go in the margins today.

The match was won by the Black Hose bouncer (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 140lb 6oz from end peg 10. Martyn caught at top-set plus two using 8mm meat over loose fed meat. Well done matey.

Full Result:

  1. Martyn Rayett 140-06-0 peg 10
  2. Chris Davis 98-11-0 peg 28
  3. Nick Saunders 71-03-0 peg 9
  4. Dave Haines 68-13-0 peg 17
  5. Stuart Barnett 61-05-0 peg 3
  6. Martin McMahon 47-13-0 peg 32
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 15-12-0 peg 2
  2. Nick Saunders 9-13-0 peg 9
Weigh Sheet:















2 comments:

Bristol Psv said...

Chris Davis did well then considering he was looking a bit dazed and confused in Bath last night around midnight!

Silverfox Match Angling said...

Chris always looks that way any time of day!