Sunday 11 September 2016

Sunday 11/09/2016 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

A sleepless night after being battered and bruised during yesterday bike ride with Geoff Francis – calamity – last of the simmer wine etc…

Nice leisurely breakfast in the Beefeater with Bela and Geoff Francis. By the looks of things I faired better than Geoff.

Sixty Two matches since the beginning of the year and taking into account travel, bait, peg fees and pools I am now 88p up on the year, who says you cant make money from fishing!!

Nineteen fishing today, not a bad turnout. Into the draw box and out comes peg 6. I didn’t mind where I drew because whatever I was going to fish for Silvers because of my injured left shoulder and right rib cage.

For company on peg 7 was Mr “Medium Sliced” Price who tried to back his van up and over but only managed the up (pictured right). The water had plenty of colour which suited because I was only going to fish a maximum length of top-set plus one. Sixteen metre thrashers carry on I say.

The Ronnie rig was set-up, plus a 4x14 Jolly to fish at top-set plus one down wind at 10-o-clock. Fed the long line with caster which is where I started. I had a couple of hours catching all-sorts of Silvers – mainly Perch. Once it slowed I went on the Ronnie rig with caster over loose fed caster, where I managed to keep some Silvers coming. At half match I was aching so much I went for a banana walk around the fishery. I reckoned I was currently winning the Silvers Back in the saddle and found the Silvers had slowed significantly, but preserved. At ten to three I hooked a Carp on the long line which luckily was landed. Out again and hooked another Carp, but wasn’t as lucky as it broke the hook length. On to the Ronnie rig and another Carp lost along with the hook length. It was now time to set up a paste rig to fish down the inside shelf. Time was now three o clock. In the next half hour I put 52lb of Carp in one net, the next hour and half another 47lb in the other net.

I finished the match with 99lb 4oz of Carp and 14lb 4oz of Silvers for a total of 113lb 8oz for a double bubble Silvers and match win (me pictured right accepting the prize money from Fishery Manager Terry)

Full Result:

  1. Mike Nicholls 113-08-0 peg 6
  2. Martyn Rayett 97-0-0 peg 27
  3. Luke Pester 85-04-0 peg 32
  4. Bob Price 82-05-0 peg 7
  5. Keith Builder 64-11-0 peg 10
  6. Bela Bakos 63-06-0 peg 23
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 14-04-0 peg 6
  2. Dave Haines 11-07-0 peg 3
  3. Dave Willmott  10-10-0 peg 26
Weigh Sheets:















1 comment:

The Last Gasp Gardener said...

A whole 88 p, well done not many of us break even let alone profit