Thursday 14 July 2016

Thursday 14/07/2016 - Amalgamation Summer League - Round Two - Tockenham Reservior

First stop was Miss Piggy’s for breakfast and a fiver bought a very good one. I was joined by Dave Poole, John Smith, Pete Greenslade and John Osborne who had practiced a far bank leg swim and moaned all through breakfast how bad it fished catching just 2lb. I said he would moan a few on.

Andy Smith had pegged the match the day before only to find someone had taken the pegs out, again, luckily no one was fishing the allocated pegs. Doug Sutton and Dave Poole re-pegged the match length.

Fifteen are fishing today with a couple on holiday and two resignations! Sections reduced from three to two today, everyone was hoping for a low number draw to be out of the leg. Andy had put all 24 pegs in the box and it took me four dips before I got a match length peg which was unlucky for some peg 13. However I was just about first out of the leg. For company I had on peg 14 Hughie Evans and on peg 12 John Osborne. 

I set up a 4x16 Jolly to fish at 10 metres with expanders over wetted micro in 7 foot of water, a Ronnie rig for caster over caster and a 4 metre whip again for Ronnie’s up in the water. As back up I set of the Normark no 1 Feeder.

I started by feeding a ball of GB at 4 metres laced with caters for the Ronnie’s, followed by a big pot of micro at 10 metres. I started with 4mm expander and expecting an immediate bite – but nothing. I came over the caster line with single caster and again no bites. Thirty minutes gone and biteless. So I picked up the feeder and after some deliberation decided against caster and maggot approach instead going for 6mm expander hook bait with GB and wetted micro in the feeder. First cast the bait hadn’t reach bottom when a very willing 4oz Skimmer took the bait. I had a good thirty minutes catching these small Skimmers. Up to the penultimate hour I kept having bursts of Skimmers. In between I kept trying the pole and Ronnie rig which proved to be a complete waste of time I couldn’t believe I didn’t have a bite on anything other than the feeder. One fish in hour five and nothing in hour six cost me a higher placing. But no Carp today The Roach were noticeable by their absence.

My Skimmers weighed 16lb 10oz for fifth overall and a section pick-up by double default.


The match was won by John Smith (pictured above centre with runner up John Osborne) with an amazing weight of 46lb 12oz especially considering it generally fished so poor. John was on peg 10 and fished the feeder with GB laced with caster with triple red maggot on the hook.

Full Result:

  1. John Smith 46-12-0 peg 10
  2. John Osborne 19-0-0 peg 12
  3. Steve Jefferies 18-08-0 peg 8
  4. Mark Bellringer 17-0-0 peg 2
  5. Mike Nicholls 16-10-0 peg 13
  6. Bob Black 12-0-0 peg 11
Weigh Sheets:














No comments: