Friday 17 June 2016

Thursday 16/06/2016 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell and Carey Lakes

Our last competitive match of our holiday week was the Thursday Viaduct cost cutter. The match was split between Campbell and Carey with top individual overall and Silvers winners form each Lake. Obviously hoping for a peg on Campbell but if I drew Carey the plan was to fish for Silvers.

First in to the coffee tin and out comes Carey peg 97. Silvers it was then, so I procured a pint of casters from the Viaduct shop. For company I had matey Gordon Cannings on peg 95 which left peg 96 empty for me to fish towards with the Ronnie rig and caster. I set up a 4x12 Jolly to fish 4 and 6mm semi-hards over potted hard 4’s at top-set plus three sections of pole for the Skimmers.

I started after the Skimmers and after kindering a few 4’s the swim started to fizz and I was soon playing a Carey Carp. Two more Carp followed into the keep net through kindering the 4’s between each fish. Umm! Next Carp I foul hooked luckily I got the rig back intact. The problem was if I didn’t feed I didn’t get bites. So I continued with the feed and fouled another Carp. That’s enough of this, I set up a paste rig but wasn’t hopeful as I could see “Two Pots” fishing the lead on peg 88 so paste wasn’t working for him. I was right nothing on the paste, not even any nibblers. I started to sparingly introduce some wetted micro and had about 10lb of Skimmers before they were driven off by the Carp.  It was time to try the caster on the Ronnie rig. I had a few but they wouldn’t settle and the reason was soon apparent – Carp - which had arrived, taking the caster up in the water. However, once I had foul hooked one the Ronnie’s would return and this scenario followed another five times before one large Carp was too quick for me to ship on resulting in the float flying back at a rate of knots hitting my hand with only ten minutes to go I threw in the towel.

My Silvers weighed 18lb 4oz and the three Carp 28lb 12oz for a total of 47lb. This holiday was certainly turning in as a “one out of” as once again I was one out of the Silvers – bugger.

Some say Carey is fishing hard I’m not sure that’s the case from what I learnt today I think they are too crafty and we are unable to catch them.

The match was won by Steve Shaw (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 222lb 4oz from peg 110. Steve fished the straight lead all through catching on hair rigged 8mm pellet fished around over the odd loose fed 8 mm pellet. Steve fed just over one pint throughout the match.


The Silvers was won by Scott Russell from peg 111 next to the match winner with 52lb 1oz. Scoot caught on 8mm hard pellet fished over 8mm at 13 metres.

Full Result:

  1. Steve Shaw 222-04-0 peg 110
  2. Tim Ford 209-03-0 peg 132
  3. Alex Randell 167-08-0 peg 123
  4. Scott Someone 157-0-0 peg 118
  5. Scott Russell 152-12-0 peg 111
  6. David Simpkiss 133-11-0 peg 102 Joint. Tony Rixon 133-11-0 peg 12
Top Silvers:

  1. Scott Russell 52-01-0 peg 111
  2. Colin Dyer 28-06-0 peg 129
Weigh Sheets:





















No comments: