Thursday 26 May 2016

Thursday 26/05/2016 - Harescombe Fishery - Cost Cutter - Match Lake

I had planned to go for a pint with the lads after last night match but because I was so cold I decided to get home to bed as I had to be up early for today’s match. Luckily I didn’t pick-up as I would have be obliged to go.

Last night it was six degrees and come weigh in today it was twenty degrees!! What’s that all about.

I love this fishery as everything is about right from an on-site breakfast, the lads that fish are all very amicable and then there’s the great fishing, loads of bites – for those that fish for bites1! Well to done Andrew Price.

The turn out was down a bit today for some unknown reason with twelve fishing. After the usual natter it was into the draw bag and out comes peg 4. I found myself sandwiched between Stuart Graham (who’s been getting fishing lessons on how to catch 20lb of Barbel form his FiancĂ©e) and Rob Turley on Chubber peg 2. For me no emotion over the peg as I have been here before I don’t seem to be able to get to the far bank pegs these days – it will happen.

The Lake colour was spot on with plenty of fish topping – especially in Stuarts peg! I was expecting it to fish well.

The usual two rigs was set-up. I started on the F1 float close in with semi-hard pellet hook bait over potted pellet, this usually produces some quick F1’s and Skimmers, but not today. After fifteen minutes I only had two Skimmers. So over to the far bank with meat over pellet where I was pestered by small Skimmers, far too slow, so the pole was broken down – not to be fished again. For 80% of the remaining match I spent in the Left hand margin catching Skimmers and F1’s averaging 2lb steady with 6mm meat hook bait over pellet.

Alan Oram had been catching well on peg 29 but struggled seeing his float due to the white foam that could not be dispersed by he light winds. I thought he had beaten me but on inspection at the weigh-in his fish were smaller than mine.

The match was won by Terry Girdlestone (pictured upper right with his catch) with 88lb 13oz from the same peg as he won it from last week – end peg 14. Terry caught on ….the same as last week.

His fellow “Bell Ringer” Roy Liddell (both pictured right) came third with 69lb 1oz from peg 22.

Nice warm day (in many ways)  .

Full Result:

  1. Terry Girdlestone 88-13-0 peg 14 (again)
  2. Mike Nicholls 76-06-0 peg 4
  3. Roy Liddell 69-01-0 peg 22
  4. Alan Oram 58-11-0 peg 29
  5. Stuart Graham 50-02-0 peg 6
  6. Ralph Hillier 48-04-0 peg 8
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: