Monday 30 May 2016

Sunday 29/05/2016 - Tony Rixon's Float Only League - Viaduct Fishery - Campbell and Carey

Bela and I stopped at Cannards Well for breakfast, after which we decided to give it a wide berth in future – enough said.

It’s a nightmare running these leagues with anglers dropping in and out. That said Tony “Two Nets” had planned on equal 8 section of 5 anglers but miss counted once again and we ended up with 41! If Tony was a bit more organised and tidy with his match register (pictured right) like his results secretary Steve Evans with his results pages – then?

The first round of any league is always full of anticipation as everyone wants to get off to a good start. For me my aim is to try if possible to pick up every round rather than worry too much about point scoring. I think most anglers were hoping to be pegged on Campbell as it has been fishing best of late and there was less spawning activity compared with Carey. In to the coffee tin and out comes peg Campbell 111. First objective achieved, I would rate this peg in the top 30% over the two Lakes so a days fishing should ensue. However, in terms of my five peg section I would rate it last as I fishing against in form pegs 115, 114, 112 and 110. For company I had Dave Evans on 112 whose back I would see for most of the day and Blakey on peg 110.

I set up three rigs: a 0.4 Paste rig to fish long at 10 metres (the wind was a skimmer hampering presentation) in the shallowest water I could find which was at 11-o- clock. A 4x12 Roob for meat at 4 metres, finally a 0.2 corn/paste float to fish behind me to the right up to a small stump with either paste or meat.

I fed the 4 metre line with ¼ pot of 6mm meat which I would subsequently loose feed the occasional 8mm over. Fed the behind margin peg with a full pot of hard 4’s. I started on the long paste line feeding hard 4’s through the kinder pot and I was soon playing a 10 lb Common, followed by three more Carp soon after. Every time I would feed the paste and 4’s together through the kinder pot which wasn’t right as I soon found out, foul hooking the next four Carp. So leave it alone for a while then. So on the meat line and had another Carp first try on 8mm meat hook bait. I then had three Skimmers two of them weighers and a 3lb Tench. The swim slowed so out on the paste with similar feeding pattern and another run of Carp, buggers came up again but if you don’t feed it completely dies so the pattern was set by switching between the two lines I kept the odd Carp coming. Time to try the margin initially with meat which was getting hammered by tiny fish until I had three Tench two 4oz one’s stocked last April and another 3 pounder. Come the last hour I was holding my own in the section but as expected I then had to suffer watching both Dave and Blakey bag up whilst I slowed. I tried the meat rig long over the pellet/paste line to no avail. Then switched the paste over the meat and hey-presto I started to catch Carp and Skimmers quite quickly. Unfortunately I left it too late so one to try earlier next time.

My Carp weighed 91lb 2oz and my accidental Silvers 12lb 8oz for a total of 103lb 10oz for section third but an all important second in Silvers pick-up, my apologies to those that were targeting Silvers. Interestingly my weight was 15th in the match – top 30%.

The match was won by Dave White form Carey peg 109 with 25 Carp for 204lb. Dave explains how he caught in the short video below.

The Silvers (and my section) was won by Blakey with 25lb of Tench and Skimmers. Paul also explains below how he caught today.


Full Result:

















Weigh Sheets:





















No comments: