Thursday 24 March 2016

Thursday 24/03/2016 - Coffin Dodgers Silvers League - Round Seven - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

We didn’t quiet get away with having a dry series, heavy rain and gusting winds back. Here all over Easter appaerently.

Our turn in C section and with John Smith back Dave Willmott was back in B section and one angler short today in D section.

I selected the swim card nearest the door which was peg 22 – a favourite of mine – or was!

I had holiday maker John Smith on next peg 23 (end of section peg) and the man I can’t escape (Fourth time next to him) – Steve Jefferies on the gap peg 21.

I set up a Ronnie rig and two 4x16 Jolly’s one for top-set plus three sections and the other for top-set plus one where it was only two feet above full depth.

I got in a bit of a pickle today not sure what to fish where. I finally decided to focus on the semi-hards on the longer line and GB laced with maggot on the shorter line. I fed all three lines which on hindsight was a mistake. I started on the short line and had a five small Ronnie’s in between missing loads of bites from the blighters due to the float going with the wind and the feed going in the opposite direction. The rain then started much earlier than forecast, which meant putting on the Gortex jacket, my number five section was waiting in the wings in case needed but was precariously place which really needed moving but I thought it would be OK – not - I got the jacket on Ok but getting back in the saddle I stood on the section – snapped in half bugger. This resulted to a period of sulking and not fishing sensibly. During this period Steve Jefferies had a decent Skimmer. I had to chase the better fish as catch up, so went out to top set plus three with the semi-hards. A mistake as I waste 30 minutes trying to catch a Skimmer which were obliviously being carped out, pinging out of two Carp. Converted the line to GB laced with maggot and spent too long catching a one pounder. With an hour to go I was fed up fighting the wind and decide to switch to the top-set plus one again fishing single maggot over GB with laced maggot. I had another big Skimmer but more importantly I was catching small Skimmer regularly plus my third Carp. Bugger should have given up on the poor presentation on the long line an hour earlier.

I was forlorn as I thought both John Smith and Steve Jefferies had beaten me. I was surprised to find my 5lb 10oz beat John by 8oz  and Steve by 10oz for a section win and fifth overall. I thnk this puts me joint second with one match to go. My pole fifth section now a matter of history.

I drew Paul Barnfield in the last four of the knockout and due to Paul being in one of the worse sections I manged to beat him and get through to the final with Steve Dawson. The sections are such that we could be next to each other which would make things more interesting.

The match was won by Tony Rixon with 11lb 5oz from peg 25 and with an empty peg next door made the most of his four peg section …see his blog for more details and the video below with no spelling mistakes!! 

Full Result:

A Section: Mike Jones 5-12-0 peg 32
A Section: Dave Wride 5-0-0 peg 5
B Section: Dave Willmott 10-02-0 peg 9
B Section: Steve Dawson 5-08-0 peg 8
C Section: Mike Nicholls 5-10-0 peg 22
C Section: John Smith 5-02-0 peg 23
D Section: Tony Rixon 11-05-0 peg 25
D Section: John Barker 7-07-0 peg 28

Weigh Sheet:



No comments: