Thursday 17 March 2016

Thursday 17/03/2016 - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake - Coffin Dodgers Silvers League - Round 6

Today was round six of the eight rounds of the Coffin Dodgers Silvers League. The advantage of knowing which section you’re in is that you can prepare and take the right clothing as today I was on the far bank with a NE wind blowing along the Lake left to right and into me. The wind was bitter cold. When I returned home the “Special One” compared my head to an England’s Glory!

It was my turn in B section. My thinking was to avoid the end peg 9 as I thought it would be battered by Carp. So drawing peg 7 was OK, which is between two islands.

Once again I found myself sandwiched between Dave Willmott and Bird fancier Steve Jefferies.

I set up two rigs both 4x16 Jolly’s. Identical except the hook, on the top-set pus two Jolly had an 808 size 18 for maggot over GB and the other an 808 size 16 for semi-hard pellet at 2 o clock at top-set plus three.

Whilst waiting for the start I tried both rigs to see how they would adapt to the wind conditions – it wasn’t good, both were going left to right and towards me with the wind. Not good, but same for everyone in the section.

On the start I fed the shorter line with GB laced with maggot and the longer line with wetted micro. Starting on the shorter line it wasn’t until 10 minutes in that I had a bite a 1lb Skimmer, next put in I lost a similar fish with the hook pulling. I didn’t realise at the time how important that first Skimmer would be. I then had a run of small Skimmers and Ronnie’s, but it didn’t last long. Hour gone and it all became a struggle picking the odd small Skimmer with pellet on the longer line and Ronnie’s on the shorter line on the drop. I did catch and net four Carp to 4lb throughout the match.

Even though the fishing was slow the match seemed end quicker than normal. I weighed 3lb 10oz just 2 oz ahead of Dave Willmott, hence that early Skimmer was so important as it got me a section win and through the knockout beating “Storming Norman” Ferris who was on peg 5 fishing his usual paste.

The match was won by John Barker with 8lb 9oz from peg 23. John explains how he caught in the video at the bottom of the page (double click to go to full screen)

Section Result:

A section Steve Dawson 6-14-0 peg 2
A Section Dave Haines 3-15-0 peg 1

B Section Mike Nicholls 3-10-0 peg 7
B Section Dave Willmott 3-08-0 peg 8

C Section John Barker 8-09-0mpeg 23
C Section Tony Rixon 7-15-0m peg 19

D Section Eddie Wynne 8-02-0 peg 28
D Section Dave Wride 7-13-0 peg 27


Weigh Sheets:


No comments: