Thursday 3 March 2016

Thursday 03/03/2016 - Coffin Dodgers Silvers League - Round Five - Windmill Fishery - Match Lake

At last after five matches – no frost – no rain – reasonable temperature – but not Spring like just yet.

Once again had to negotiate the driveway to the fishery definitely need a 4x4 but won’t be long before a tank tracked vehicle will be needed.

It’s half way through the league, so a redraw for section and a chance to get out of the section with Paul Barnfield and Dave Wride, not that I haven’t enjoyed their company, because I have – both good Silvers anglers and there lies a reason.

First things first time for the first round draw for the knock-out ably run by Mike “Senile” Jones. I was drawn against Bill “Maggot Man” Ferris who had drawn end peg 9 which will suit his style of fishing - so a challenge.

I drew peg 3 (A - section start again). However, this time a complete new set of competitors. On end peg 32 was Dave Willmott, peg 1 Lee Waller, 2 Steve Jefferies, me and finally Norman “Paste Ferris (Bill Brother) peg 4. I suspected end peg 32 would win the section as it did last match.

I set up three rigs but only used the one – a 4x18 Jolly which could be fished from 3 metres to 10 metres. On the bait tray was wriggling red maggot and my Skimmer GB.

I like to look at fellow anglers bait trays and rigs so with trepidation wandered down to Tony Rixon on peg 7 for a “look see”, expecting the usual piss take, he didn’t disappoint (see short video below - double right click).

On the “all in” I fed a small ball on GB laced with maggot at 3 metres and 9 metres. I started on the longer line with single red on an 18 – 808 to 0.12 G-Line. Following this I had a good 30 minutes catching 3oz Skimmers and 1oz Ronnie’s, that was until it went quiet, so mistakenly re-fed only to catch a marauding 4lb Carp. The fishing from then became harder. I occasionally dropped in on the 3 metre line catching the odd small Skimmer and Ronnie, it was obvious the fish didn’t want to be that close. I kept topping up the 9 metre line and had the odd slow run of Silvers but no quality found the net. I was pestered by more Carp returning six of the blighters throughout the match.

I am not a fan of feeding too many lines at the start so it was 1 ½ hours before the end that I fed the 10 metre line with the same maggot filling. I started to catch small Skimmers again but again the line was disrupted by Carp. I re-fed at 11 o clock and had a few more small fish and a lost 2lb Skimmer due to the butt section getting caught in the Hawthorne bushes behind me; these have been planted all around the fishery – why? I was glad to hear the all out as it had become as struggle.

I finished with 7lb 3oz for a section second being done by the end peg and a bonus £5 Tench. This also put me fourth overall. Bill Ferris you’re out the knockout.

The match was won by Dave Willmott (pictured above right with his catch) with 9lb 8oz from end peg 32. Dave caught most of his fish on loose fed maggot with maggot hook bait on his whip fished up in the water.

Weigh Sheet:





















Section Result:


1 comment:

Mike Jones said...

If you could smash open your cast iron piggy bank to buy a full height roller, you wouldn't hit the bankside vegetation. That 2lb+ bream probably cost you the match. Who's the senile one!!