Sunday 6 March 2016

Sunday 06/03/2016 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

With the kitchen now complete and the weather forecast not too bad, chilly wind but dry, it was off to Windmill Fishery to negotiate the drive way. Apparently Terry is relaying the road next week. Glenn “Two Pots” Bailey also ventured out – it must be spring!!

Into the draw box and out comes wooden counter number 20. This section in the Silvers league hasn’t been the best and with a super pool I decided to have a go for Carp.

I set up a 4x16 Jolly for soft pellet over micro to fish towards the gap between the islands at 10 metres at full depth of 5 foot. The second rig a 4x14 Jolly to fish at 13 metres up the shelf of the opposite island in 3 foot of water for corn hook bait over micro and a smidgen of corn feed. However, the far side shelf was quite steep, with it going to 1 inch deep a metre further in. I fed both lines, starting at the 10 metres I had one small Skimmer on the semi-hards, I missed a few finicky touches from what I guessed was similar sized fish. I tried the corn on the 13 metre line and didn’t have an indication even though I could pull the corn up the
slope for it to gradually tow down, good presentation so expectations were high. I kept persevering with both lines without a sniff. After 2 ½ hours with just the lonely Ronnie captured I had a walk. Martin Rayett was doing best with 50lb and with other anglers also catching Carp around him. I decided to fish for the one Silver pools money so went back and knocked up some GB, re-plumbed the 4x16 Jolly at 5 metres and fished over the GB laced with maggot with single wriggling maggot on the hook. It was a slow start but picked up as the remaining half match progressed. I had a 1lb Ronnie followed by a 1lb Crucian which brightened up an otherwise dour day. I had a couple of 1lb Skimmers but most of the bites were from the usual small Ronnie’s. By the end I was getting cold as the bitter wind had picked up. I weighed 10lb of Silvers (catch pictured right) for a Silvers win. I did enjoy turning the match around from loss to profit.

The match was won by ex pub Landlord Martin Rayett (pictured right with his catch) with 93lb 3oz. Martin caught 30% of his Carp at 14 metres with corn hook bait over corn and 60% falling to 6mm expander fished over micro at 16 metres.

Full Result:

  1. Martin Rayett 93-03-0 peg 26
  2. Dave Willmott 60-09-0 peg 17
  3. Glenn Bailey 55-02-0 peg 25
  4. Dave Haines 49-13-0 peg 1
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 10-0-0 peg 20
  2. John Clark 7-02-0 peg 6
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: