Thursday 24 December 2015

Thursday 24/12/2015 - Windmill Fishery - Open - Match Lake

Although a few days ago the weather forecast wasn’t good for Christmas Eve, Geoff Francis and I still decided to go whatever, even it was just for breakfast at the Beefeater. For me I wanted to try out my new micro video camera (pictured right without its waterproof housing). I first tried it at Harescombe with it attached to my head. However, because it doesn’t have a viewfinder it’s difficult to setup, plus I was surprised how little I move my head instead I moved my eyes (shifty). Another try today but instead of having it on my head I set it up on a bank stick. Unfortunately the wind was so bad the bank stick was moving too much. It wasn’t until the third hour that I had another try. The results are shown below – weather conditions were far worse than the video shows.

Because of the date and the weather conditions there were only four of us willing to brave the conditions and spouses. We couldn’t decide on the pegs as I wanted to be sheltered from the wind because I only fish the pole, Bob Price wanted peg 10 in the draw although it was a tad windswept it wouldn’t affect him as he fishes the lead plus it’s his favourite peg! We decided on a rover.  I drew peg 1 so first out and sat on peg 30 deepest peg on the Lake, Geoff sat on peg 32. Bob on peg 10 and Ted Bethel on peg 7.

Geoff decided to put up his umbrella attaching it to his box. He left his box for 5 seconds long enough for the box to do a Mary Poppins into the Lake. A bit windy then.

One rig – 4x18 Jolly to be fished at top-set and top-set plus one where I had 9 foot of water and I was still about 2 foot up the inside shelf. I fished semi-hards over pellet and caught most of my Silver on the longer line once the wind subsided a bit.

I caught Silvers (Tench, Skimmers and Crucian’s) steady throughout putting 18lb 8oz on the Scales. No Carp. Very enjoyable. The Small Skimmers seem to be bigger every time I go.

Geoff Francis fished the method catching seven Carp which he thought was enough to put a third net in. His estimate was well short of the 70lb net limit with 25lb 12oz.

Ted DNW’ed.


Bob “Medium Slice” Price (pictured upper right) won the match on bread on the lead for 60lb 6oz.

No comments: