Sunday 6 December 2015

Sunday 06/12/2015 - Windmill Fishery Open - Match Lake

Another very mild day for December, but when are the winds going to subside? Bela and I had another good breakfast in the Beefeater where we were joined by Lee Weller.

Apparently the last match here Dave Haines drew a Golden peg and technically won the match but unfortunately got disqualified for going over in his Carp net. Some would say his no show was down to a sulk!!

Terry did his usual role call as per video below – watch out for the Bike Rack!!.

Mandy did the draw for the three Golden pegs and peg 22 came out. A peg I have won off so was hoping to draw it. And I did – yippee. Then I realised I would have to fish for Carp to claim the extra £100 – Umm.

The wind was horrendous and thought the tip would be the way to go. Not for me though as I don’t bring it, in any case I wasn’t going to change my very enjoyable way of fishing for £100. Bela was on peg 24 and I suggested he fish it – “The Dead Head Lead”. He did, making some excuse that his garage door crashed down disabling his shoulder, apparently due to the high wind.

I had pre-mixed my GB so was pissed because it would be wasted as I choose to fish 4mm semi hards over 4mm pellet in the hope of beating the Dead Heads. I set up a 4 x 16 Jolly to fish as far as the wind would permit which was top-set plus one 10 inches up the inside shelf in 6 foot of water, plus one section for wind ballast. The presentation was crap. I also decided to use the GB and fed it down the RH margin, not that I even tried it, but watched in case a Carp tail appeared in the two foot of water.

I started well catching a Carp first put in followed by two more all were caught within 6 inches of their mouths. As I said this was down to the crap presentation. I had been fishing a Drennan 8-10 yellow elastic which I was thinking was too light for lading these Carp during which I then hooked a big Carp which did me in the margin weed. As it happens we wait for a disaster before making changes. I upped the elastic to a Drennan 10 -12 Red. Can you believe it I hooked a 2lb Skimmer and bumped it off – Bugger?

I stayed on this line catching the odd Carp and accidental Skimmers and Crucian’s until 45 minutes when the wind dropped so I could go out to full depth - another section. I had a few better Skimmers and one smaller Carp - in the mouth.

I finished the match with seven Carp for 30lb 10 oz and  my accidental Silvers weighed 14lb 2oz for a total weight of 44lb 12oz for a Silvers first and third overall. I was beaten twice for the Golden peg by Dead Heads on the lead – as I suspected. Nonetheless I thoroughly enjoyed how I fished – bloody wind.

The match was won by Bob “Medium Slice” Price (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 51lb 60z from peg 30. Funny enough Bob caught on bread on the lead over to the point of the island, feeding nothing.

Bela also caught on the led catching ten Carp for 50lb 7oz – just 15oz behind Bob. The van once again had a double pick up.

Full Result:

  1. Bob Price 51-06-0 peg 30
  2. Bela Bakos 50-07-0 peg 24
  3. Mike Nicholls 44-12-0 peg 22
  4. Norman Ferris 33-09-0 peg 10
  5. Chris (work the surname out from the weigh sheet) 32-15-0 peg 26
  6. Luke Pester 32-14-0 peg 8
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 14-02-0 peg 22
  2. Darren North 8-07-0 peg 4
Weigh Sheet:

Add caption

No comments: