Saturday 3 October 2015

Saturday 03/10/2015 - Viaduct All Winners Final - Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

Bela arrived 5 minutes early and first words were “where we are going”, “Viaduct” I say – “No for breakie”, “Highwayman I say” – All signs that Bela was hungry – after filling my tanks and Bela half filling his it was off to Viaduct for the All Winners Final and we were all fishing for the following payout:

Most of the anglers thought that the straight lead (not fixed or half fixed) would win it and as I can’t do this because of the physically effort and pressure on my arm to land the obese Carp and mentally as I lose concentration after 60 seconds. I was hoping for a peg on Lodge Lake preferably 66. Alas not, in to the draw tin and out comes peg 129 on Campbell. I wasn’t unhappy with this one although I knew the best I could expect was a section win and a days fishing.

Arriving at the peg it was obvious that Algae has arrived turning the Lake an unusual peat like colour. The weather was flat calm and bright October sunshine – not ideal conditions.  

Peg 129 is below the spit (which is getting eroded ore every year). I could easily reach the spit head with 13 metres of pole. I set up three rigs. A 4x10 Yoof for meat up to the spit head, a 4x 0.15 PC paste float to fish at 10 metres at 1 o clock and a 4x12 Jolly to fish at 11 o clock at 5 metres again with meat. However, when comparing the depths of each rig they were all around 30 inches deep which meant I could swap them around if need be.

I started by feeding ¼ pot of 6mm meat on the spit head then started to loose feed 6mm meat at 5 metres. I started on the paste by feeding just a few hard 4’s in the kinder pot with the paste and had three quick decent Carp. Interesting there was no fizzing at all. The swim then died without even any nibbling from Silvers – very unusual. I tried the short meat line without any indication. I swap this meat line to a longer 10 meters out in front and had two more decent Carp for again the swim to die. I retried the long paste line and it was soon obvious that it was dodo. The Lake was so far fishing hard. Time to try the Spit Head line with the meat only to find the Ronnie’s keen to get in on the act. Bugger that I switched the line to paste by feeding a bit pot of 4’s. The upshot was that none of the lines revived so I stuck with the Spit Head for the remaining, catching another seven Carp plus a few Skimmers and more importantly a personal best Perch weighing 3lb. I did find fishing this line hard on my shoulder especially shipping out.
 
My 12 carp weighed 110 lb 10oz and my Silvers 8lb 8oz for a total of 119lb 2oz for tenth overall and that important section win.

The match was won by Craig Edmonds (pictured right with some of his catch) with 185lb 4oz from peg 112.  Craig caught all his fish on 8mm meat fished short, long and from both margins. Craig fed about 3 ½ tins throughout mainly loose fed. He went home £1,000 richer (if he had bought the fish and chips it would had been reduced to £950)!!. Well done matey and I thought you weren’t listening in the early days!!

Runner up and third were pegged on Carey catching mainly on the lead.
using doubled up 8mm pellet over loose fed 8’s (top three overall pictured below centre).


Full Result:

  1. Craig Edmonds 185-04-0 peg 112
  2. Nicky Ewers 177-06-0 peg100
  3. Ashley Tompkins 165-10-0 peg 96
  4. Ben Hagg 147-01-0 peg 99
  5. Glenn Bailey  134-04-0 peg 124
  6. Dan Squires 135-0-0 peg 97
Weigh Sheets:















No comments: