Friday 24 July 2015

Thursday 23/07/2013 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes

I left the decision to Glenn “Two Pots” Bailey as to whether we went to Avalon or Viaduct. Glenn chose the latter because it was to be a big match due to the Fireman’s national being held there the following day. Indeed it was as there were 51 booked in so Campbell, Carey and Lodge Lakes in the draw Tin.

I woke up feeling knackered as a result of taking the granddaughter swimming Tuesday and from yesterdays match at least I didn’t have to drive that was down to Two Pots. We decided to give Canards Well a miss and try the Highwayman next door. The breakfast was of a similar price, quality good and enough for me and Glenn but not sure Bela would feel sick after he had one! The service was exceptional compared to Canards. I’ll take Bela in there next opportunity and get his verdict, but may have to take a packed lunch.

My goal was to try once again to qualify for the Silvers final; however, The Firemen ran a £5 super pool which I entered in case I drew a Carp Slaying peg. First into the draw tin and out comes peg 127. Not currently a Carp Slaying peg nor and out and out Silvers peg as most of the fish appear to be congregating around the aerators at the moment which are running 14/7. However, Silvers it was to be. Two Pots came away from the draw with peg 124 in his mitts he has won off the peg this year hence the smile and bounce to the peg.

I initially set up the two rigs a 0.4 gram paste float to fish at 9 metres out in front and a 4x12 Jolly to fish the same distance but swung around to 2 o clock. There are so many feed craters that it is difficult to plumb up. The plan was to start on the paste over micro’s for the big Skimmers and to oink out any early bird Carp. If this didn’t work I would switch to CW&C (the worms kindly donated by Chris Davis last Sunday).

Second put in I had a big Skimmer followed by a lost foul hooker. Then the early birds arrived netting two 10 lb Carp. The swim slowed so eagerly onto the CW&C putting in a half pot of worm and caster by equal portions. I did expect to initially get ragged by the Ronnie’s but instead I had two more Skimmers on half a worm and then a 3lb Tench. Looking good I think, until I loose the next three Skimmers and a Tench for reasons unknown to me. This buggered the swim. So with hardly any accidental Silvers showing around the venue, that said I think only a few of us were fishing for them. I set up the Ronnie rig and had a run on them including some hand size Skimmers and Hybrids. It wasn’t long before the margin pigs arrived doing my Ronnie rig. In to the last hour and the Silvers did a complete disappearing act I couldn’t even catch down the margin on single caster which is normally solid with tiny Ronnie’s. Nigel Bartlett came and sat with me for a while being amused by the battering my Silvers rigs were getting from the Carp during Pigging hour. Where ever I put in with worm I hooked a Carp in some part of their anatomy. I didn’t count the total carnage but landed three.

My five Carp weighed 39lb 11oz and my Silvers 22lb 2oz. AT LAST A SILVERS WIN. Mission accomplished through to the all winner final.


The Match was won by Fireman Steve Haywood (pictured above centre with the Silvers winner) with 215lb 7oz from Campbell peg 112. Steve caught on banded hair- rigged 6mm hard pellet fished over hard 4’s. Steve caught most of his Carp down his RH margin towards empty peg 113.

I thought the standard of angling of the Firemen was generally very high.

Two Pots came fourth overall picking up a slender envelope missing out of a fatter one from the super pool by one placing – unlucky. However, the double pick up paid for our fish and chip supper in Whitstone’s in Shepton which rounded off another memorable day.

Happy Birthday Mum.

Full Result:

  1. Steve Haywood 215-07-0 peg 112
  2. Mark Wynne 197-0-0 peg 125
  3. Roy Worth 151-04-0 peg 78
  4. Glenn Bailey 144-01-0 peg 124
  5. Jez Livsey 143-0-0 peg 68
  6. Tony Witcomb 138-07-0 peg 56
Top Silvers:

  1. Mike Nicholls 22-02-0 peg 127
  2. Pete Haeto 16-08-0 peg 60
  3. Andy Searle 15-12-0 peg 81
Weigh Sheets:






No comments: