Thursday 16 July 2015

Thursday 16/07/2015 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Cary and Lodge Lakes

Lonesome traveller today so decided to breakfast in the Bear Inn which meant driving through Wells. However, on the down hill into Wells there are some temporary traffic lights, unfortunately, on my side they ere stuck on Red!! Luckily because I was at the top of the hill I could see the oncoming traffic so when they stopped I signalled and over took everyone and went through with lots of cars following behind except an old couple at the head of the queue that wasn’t going to move until they changed. Probably still be there.

Nice breakfast and on to the fishery where the match was on Carey and Lodge. So with the sole intent of qualifying for the Silvers all winners final I needed to be on Lodge. In to the draw tin and out comes peg 97, Carp slayers peg on Carey – bugger. That said Steve was paying the top two silvers and overall on both lakes so something to fish for and you never know in this game the Skimmers might not feed – umm.

I set up the Ronnie rig for caster over caster and a 4x12 Jolly for the small skimmers with semi-hard pellet to fish at 5 metres where I could loose feed small knubs of wetted micro. I also set up a paste rig to fetch out any maundering Carp and although I had plenty of opportunity I didn’t bother the paste.

With Mark Vigar on peg 96 and with an empty peg on 98 that was the direction I decided to fish the Ronnie rig.

On the whistle from the match on Campbell I fed a knub of micro at 5 metres ahead of our match even though we were to start at the same time – Woody’s watch is 2 minutes slow to BBC and Campbell time. It took a few seconds before the Carp were doing what they do to create a huge amount of fizzing on he one thumb size.

I started on the caster over loose feed caster and stayed with this for most of the match. When I tried the Skimmer line with semi-hards I would catch two 3 ouncers then the Carp would arrive. So gradually abandoned the line until the last ¾ hours when the Ronnie’s, Perch, Tiny Tench (eight for 5lb) slowed and found the Carp going mental over any feed. If I had to guess I’d say one Carp was waving its tail over the micro to lift them off bottom for its matey’s to feed off them up in the water – not far off with this me thinks.

I finished the match Carpless (two foul hookers) with 25lb 1oz of small Silvers for the Lake Silvers win but as expected lots of Skimmers fed on Lodge, so still to qualify.

The match was won by Mark Wynne (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 135lb 14oz from peg 94. Mark caught most of his fish shallow at 14.5 metres using hair rigged pellet over loose fed 6’s. Mark fed 6 pints of pellet throughout the match.

The Silvers was won by Coffin Dodger Chris Rolfe (pictured lower right with his catch of Skimmers) with 40lb 10oz from Lodge peg 68. Chris caught on hair rigged 6mm hard pellet fish over hard 4’s Chris fed about I pint throughout.

Full Result:

  1. Mark Wynne 135-14-0 peg 94
  2. J Miles 114-05-0 peg 69
  3. Steve Tucker 111-02-0 peg 103
  4. Chris Boulton 106-14-0 peg 60
  5. Adrian Jeffery 105-10-0 peg 105
  6. Bob W 99-01-0 peg 64
Top Silvers:

  1. Chris Rolfe 40-10-0 peg 68
  2. Mark Hanham 35-0-0 peg 62
Weigh Sheets:


















No comments: