Thursday 2 July 2015

Thursday 02/07/2015 - Viaduct Cost Cutter - Campbell and Carey Lakes

With the Coffin Dodgers match cancelled two minutes after I booked in due to Carp dying I thought I would have the day off because it was so hot (hottest day in July since the Gimp was born). However, the Special One said it would be cooler Thursday (how right she was) so I decided on the Cost Cutter at Viaduct.

I also decided to have breakfast in the Bear Inn in Street although it’s a bit more expensive the food is quality (won’t suit Bela) plus it’s waitress service.

First to arrive at the fishery so I had a walk around Campbell and Carey. I laid my scent on peg 125 as I am still trying to qualify for the All Winners Silvers final. As it was an out and out Silvers match for me I really didn’t mind where I fished especially as Steve Long was paying a top Individual and Silvers from each Lake.

Pushed to the front of the queue  and into the Coffee tin and out comes a bunch of draw cards – they all went back in – in again and single ticket peg 81 is where I was to spend the day. I didn’t mind the peg because with most of the big Skimmers now having passed on I was confident I could win the Lake Silvers with Ronnie’s. But to qualify Campbell Silvers had to have a really off day.

Arriving at the peg there were signs of both Ronnie’s and Carp, Ronnie’s remained my focus though. So I set up the reliable Ronnie rig for the caster. A 4x12 Jolly for the semi-hard 4’s to be at 12-o-clock at top-set plus two. Finally a paste rig to fish over the pellet line if I got annoyed with the Carp.

Starting of the Ronnie Rig with single caster over loose fed caster it didn’t take long to catch one. I was expecting to catch the smaller versions but they were of a decent size. That said the fishing wasn’t easy or quick enough to get a twenty plus net of them. I persevered with the caster but felt they really didn’t want them. So I tried the semi-hard’s over wetted micro and although still slow I was catching Ronnie’s, small Hybrids and tiny Skimmers a bit quicker than the caster. Then at about half way through he match we had a horrendous deluge. This slowed me and the fishing down considerably just managing to save the semi-hards from going limp. I carried on nonetheless picking off the odd fish until with about 45 minutes to go when I foul hooked a Carp and lost the pellet rig. I put another on only to do the self same thing – bugger. Two rigs and a plummet lost so far today. On went the paste rig and started potting in soaked 4’s like “Two Pots” and in three put ins I landed three small Carp then I foul hooked another. For the last 10 minutes the swim all died.

My three Carp weighed 23lb 15oz and my Silvers 14lb 11oz for a total of 38lb 10oz. This gave me a Lake Silvers win and second overall Silvers – still to qualify then beaten by the oldest bugger here today!

The match was won by Roy Wirth (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 305lb 12oz from peg 111. Roy caught on the straight lead using hard hair-rigged 8’s fished over 8’s. Roy fed about eight pints.

The Silvers was won by the Gimp from peg 130 with 28lb 8oz of Skimmers caught on CW&C.

Full Result:

  1. Roy Wirth 305-12-0 peg 111
  2. Mark Wynne 180-10-0 peg 118
  3. Chris Rolfe 152-08-0 peg 129
  4. Steve Rolfe 118-02-0 peg 112
  5. Ken Ashby 111-12-0 peg 94
  6. Nobby 106-0-0 peg 77
Top Silvers:

  1. John Bradford 28-08-0 peg 130
  2. Mike Nicholls 14-11-0 peg 81
  3. Keith Fisher 7-02-0 peg 116
Weigh Sheets:


















No comments: