Saturday 27 June 2015

Saturday 27/06/2015 - Hillview Open

Hillview today with son Steve for a Fathers Day outing and an Indian Curry afterwards – don’t get any better than this.

The rules at Hillview have changed primarily with regards to the keep net limits (see right). I think they are one of the most sensible rules around especially the four net rules – well done Keith. However, it’s the only fishery I know that if an angler gets it badly wrong he could end up with a negative weight – it will happen., can’t wait - Lol.

In to the Woolly hat and out comes peg 30 on Heron a corner peg with the wind nearly blowing in to it. I was reasonably happy with the peg until the nemesis arrived on peg 27.

I decided to make it an out and out paste match for me. So two rigs a 0.4 gram rig to be fished just down the shelf at top-set plus one and a half sections. And a 0.3 gram which suited both margins all to be fished over hard 4’s so bait tray sparser than usual.

Starting long whilst lightly feeding both margins I hooked a 4lb Carp first put in. Second put in another – going to be good – just as I thought that the nibblers arrived. So in to the RH margin and an F1 in the net. It then all went Tits-up. I couldn’t get a bite. So went out again on the longer line and had another F1. The nibblers soon arrived. By now both Glenn and Terry were bagging in their margins on maggot. I did notice that both of them were feeding heavy, more in one go than I normally feed all match!! True.

I started to up the feed accordingly and - nothing until the last hour when I started to catch the odd F1 and Carp, but the bites was strange it was “tear-a–ways” or nothing. I can’t believe I fed a whole 2 pints can’t believe it. I finished up with 44lb and nowhere. It fished weird; Terry King confirmed the same where heavy feeding was the only way to get the marauding Carp to take any interest.

The match was won by Chris Cork (pictured right) with 168lb 8oz (would have been minus if in one net!!) from first canal peg 42. Chris saved the day for me as he caught on paste from both margins. One margin paste over micro and the RH paste over meat. All his fish equally spread from both margins, all caught short.

Steve drew peg 5 and DNW'd but had around 40lb of F1’s in the process had a lesson from Des Shipp – hope he don’t invoice him!!

I always have a look at the post match platforms to see what anglers have been feeding the picture right is that of Des Shipp’s where there were signs of Corn, Meat, Pellet and Worm.

Full Result:

  1. Chris Cork 168-08-0 peg 42
  2. Luke Hughes 166-0-0 peg 16
  3. Glenn Brothcrion 147-0-0 peg 28
  4. Terry King 146-0-0 peg 27
  5. Des Shipp 127-08-0 peg 3
  6. Jake Cork 123-12-0 peg 18
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: