Monday 25 May 2015

Sunday 24/05/2015 - Ivy House Open - Match Lake

Son Mark ran the London to Brighton 100k Ultra Marathon Challenge for Great Ormond Street Hospital. The Special One and I were really proud of him for doing this, especially as Mark finished in 7th position out of 500 runners 2,500 walkers completing the course in 11 hour!

It was a nice steady drive to Ivy House to one of Karen’s breakfasts. Matty Tainton was here today eating his dried toast and red jam sandwich. How does he last all match on this intake I wondered.

In to the draw tin and out comes peg 13, apparently not that good a draw. I found my self surrounded by Shipp’s. Des was opposite on peg 37 and Shipp Junior was pleasure fishing peg 11 with his mate which consisted of chucking the method out – not bringing Junior up right Des. The other side I had Brian Shanks. Des said Ryan drew my peg last week and struggled. Umm.

Four rigs a 4x14 Jolly to fish at 7 metres at 1 o clock in to the white water with a black tip. This rig for semi hard 4’s and caster if need be, all to be fished over wetted micro. The trusted Ronnie rig was erected and two paste floats one for over the Jolly rig line and the other for the RH margin which had the right depth and topography for fishing the paste. However, as said neither paste rigs produced a bite from anything over a few ounces.

I started on the Jolly with semi hard 4’s and had a very confident bite and a small Skimmer first put in. This lead me to think I was going to have a good day on he Silvers. Alas not as it wasn’t long before my pellet hook bait was being nicked by small fish. I then foul hooked a Carp on the drop which luckily didn’t damage the rig. I suspected the Carp were disrupting the Silvers but not really feeding themselves. I re-shotted the float so to fish on the drop which after a right old tussle resulted in a 14lb Mirror Carp. I kept this going for while picking off the odd Ronnie and tiny Skimmer until I hooked another double figure Carp. The Lake was fishing poorly with hardly anyone catching Carp. Des opposite was doing well catch small Silvers, the bigger Skimmers weren’t really showing anywhere. As it was going to be a tight match I gave the Ronnie rig a go and after catching three or four decent Ronnie’s the swim would die, again I think disrupted by Carp. As I said I tried the paste in the margin having continually fed hard fours, but nothing. I switch lines coming in to 4 metres where it’s not far off full depth. In the last hour I added two more Carp on the caster and a smattering of Ronnie’s to 8oz losing two foul Carp in the process.

I spied a large Carp surface feeding so I tried a Tony Rixon by putting a pellet on its nose. The blighter took the bait but not the hook!! I don’t feel comfortable catching this way, sort of cheating myself out of a bite.

My Silvers weighed 11lb 14oz and my four Carp 40lb for a 6th position weight of 51lb 14oz. As expected the match result was tight with Bela and I only one fish each out of a section pick up. I must admit I rather fish a tight lowish weight match such as this one today as you are always in with a chance to the end.

The match was one my Mike Etheridge (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 84lb 6oz from end bank peg 48. Mike fished long using 4mm hard pellet fished over hard 4’s feeding about 2 pints. Mike also nicked a couple from his margin late on. The results show that the majority of the catchable Carp are currently in the bay nearest the CafĂ©.

The Silvers was won by Des Shipp with 45lb 4oz from the same peg 37 Des drew last week. Des caught on worm fished over CW&C feeding about three pints of caster and ½ kilo of worm.

Full Result:

  1. Mike Etheridge 84-06-0 peg 48
  2. Dean Malin 73-06-0 peg 2
  3. Craig 60-12-0 peg 3
  4. Jamie 58-04-0 peg 43
  5. Dick Young 55-02-0 peg 39
  6. Mike Nicholls 51-14-0 peg 13
Top Silvers:

  1. Des Shipp 45-04-0 peg 37
  2. Chris Telling 29-0-0 peg 41
  3. Jamie 25-0-0 peg 43
Weigh Sheets:


No comments: