Monday 18 May 2015

Sunday 17/05/2015 - Tony Rixon's Short Pole Series - Round Two - Chiltern Trinity - Woodlands

Back from a holiday from the Isle of Wight. Which we last visited 31 years ago and it hasn’t changed in any way, which we thought was for the good – change is not always for the better.

Woke up this morning (good) but was feeling under the weather (bad). I now know it was the start of man flu which needed some extra Pinky Ponk in the bar Gar-age on our return.

It was the Hilltops CafĂ© again for Bela and me (Bertie Buster breakfast for Two Chews) where we were joined by Leon “One Chew” Hubbard. Believe it or not One Chew can eat quicker than Bela and at the same time as leading the conversation – true.

I drew "Two Pots" Bailey in the knockout which would have been fun had he been fishing today instead of going to Wembley with Tim Ford to watch the Gas get promoted back into the football league.

In to the draw tin and out comes two tickets stuck together, both went back in and out comes peg 22 which is the right hand end peg on the nearside. The wind was blowing down this end, promising sign. However, Kev Moulton drew it last match here and struggled weighing 25lb. The weight to better.

I decided to set the Ronnie rig and two identical paste floats for the RH down wind margin. The bank side vegetation restricts fishing more than 4 metres down the right which suits me but limits any fish chasing. Because of the wind I expected some tow right to left and that’s what I had which meant fishing the top-set plus one to hold the float back preventing the paste being dragged down the various sloping margin – a nuisance for paste fishing.

Once again I had “One Chew” next to me on peg 23, but we were both ends of different sections of seven. Bela had drawn again in his favourite area mid pegs on the near side which has been reserved it for him. (pictured right).

Because I had forty minutes to wait out before the start I had a go on the pond behind with the Ronnie rig where I would expect to catch Silvers in quick time. This didn’t happen, not even a bite. If this was to read across to our match then it would be concerning.

Nonetheless I started the match on the Ronnie rig and caster. However, it was slow and in the first hour could only manage 6lb 14oz of Ronnie’s at which time the Lake appeared to completely switch off – I couldn’t get a bite on caster except for the Motherless. One Chew next door had a couple of Carp pegs 20 and 19 were blanking! Carp totalling talk started around the Lake with seven Carp winning. So it was paste for the rest of the match fished over loose fed hard 4’s. The first Carp I hooked snagged me close in dead centre of the peg and came off – rig in tack. The next Carp I hooked I decided to play further out from the bank and before bring it to netting position making sure I could see the Dacron connector – this worked. Over the remaining five hour I landed ten decent sized Carp equi-spaced throughout – roughly two Carp per hour.

My ten Carp weighed 72lb 6oz for a total of 79lb 4oz for a section win and third overall.

I could say that the initial lost Carp cost me second place, but we all lose the odd fish. That said I think the choice of fishing for the Silvers was wrong and did cost me a higher placing because there were some early Carp to be had. Lesson for next match – I doubt it.

The match was won by Rod Wotton (pictured right with the Silvers winner) with 117lb 12oz from peg 6. Rod caught in his margin using 8mm banded pellet fished over 4 pints of loose fed hard 4’s and  2 pints of 6’s.

The Silvers was won by Paul Faiers with 25lb 7oz of Skimmers from peg 31. Paul caught at full length – top-set plus three using work hook bait fished over CW&C.

Full Result:





Weigh Sheets:

































No comments: