Thursday 23 April 2015

Thursday 23/04/2015 - Bathampton AA - Over 55's And Disabled - Bridge Pool

For me it was good to see that most of the trees and bushes on Bridge Pool have been removed. A change for the better I think. Bob Price will be pleased to be able to chuck the lead down into the corner on peg 18 (pictured right).

Arriving at the fishery I found it “Nipply” due to the bitter cold NE wind. In to the draw bag and out comes peg 2. I found myself opposite Tony Rixon who was on end peg 33. Tony was going to be cold because this peg is in the shade all day. Luckily for me the sun put in an appearance on my bank.

I was reasonably happy with the peg because Bob Price had a few Skimmers from it last match. However, he did say that he only caught for the first couple of hours. Take on the learning -  but what to do with it!

I set up the 4x16 Jolly and the Ronnie rig which only accounted for less that a pound. I did loose a decent Perch on it though.

I fished the Jolly at 9 metres for most of the match using semi hard pellet over wetted micro. Unusually it took a few minutes before I had my first bite a small Skimmer. Then things improved over the next two hours adding Skimmers to 2lb and two Tench to the keep net. The swim then all but died struggling for a bite. I tried various baits most of which was borrowed from Alan Jones who was on peg 3. The only effective bait was the soft pellet.

Due to the reasonably good weather for the time of year there was a lot of traffic up and down to Withy Pool (I think one angler must have had a stomach bug as he appeared to be going to and from the toilet) and with the ground dry I was getting covered in dust (see picture of my boots right). I also suffered with the dust getting in my eyes.

Having been biteless for two hours I decided to move out to 10 metres and feed two big pots of micro. This resulted in two small Skimmers and a flyer decent Bream and with five minutes to go I foul hooked a Carp which left me hook less.

I finished the match with 26lb 4oz which I was pleased with this considering the weights around me.

The match was won by Chris Rolfe (pictured right with some of his catch) with 88lb 5oz of Carp from peg 17. Chris caught on 8mm hard pellet fished over the same loose feed down his left hand margin. Chris fed about three pints throughout the match.

The Silvers was won by Dave Gillard (pictured lower right enjoying an after match pint) with 38lb 12oz from peg 27. Dave caught on 6mm expander fished over micro.

Full Result:

  1. Chris Rolfe 88-05-0 peg 17
  2. Dave Gillard 51-08-0 peg 27
  3. Pete Turner 34-08-0 peg 29
  4. John Smith 31-04-0 peg 5
  5. Pete Greenslade 30-12-0 peg 18
  6. Mike Jones 29-10-0 peg 14
 Top Silvers:

  1. Dave Gillard 38-12-0 peg 27
  2. Mike Jones 29-12-0 peg 14
  3. Ray Bazeley 29-04-0 peg 15
  4. Pete Turner 27-08-0 peg 29
Weigh Sheets:





















No comments: