Sunday 29 March 2015

Sunday 29/03/2015 - Hillview Open - Canals 2, 3 And 4

Early Saturday morning Bela cancelled coming to Hillview with me. However, I was going to the pub with him lunch time with Tim Ford and Glenn Bailey to watch Bristol Rovers kick the ball about (0-0 draw). Tim and Glenn were also going to Hillview. I knew after a couple of pints Bela would change his mind. And he did. The weather forecast was horrendous with gale force winds coming in from the WSW and rain. In the morning Glenn was looking for some support to cry off. Too late Bela and I were on the way in my car for the first time – we arrived without noise fatigue!

There was a club match on the two Lakes, plus ten or so Golfers in for breakfast because Puckrup Golf Club is too expensive, so the cafĂ© was busy. Breakfast was good which Bela speaks highly of. Canals 2, 3 & 4 were in the draw so with 22 booked in it was going to be tighter than we are use to here and with the warmer weather comes more club matches, so expect tighter pegging). So time to dip the woolly hat and out comes peg 69. Last Sunday Top-Kit King won off peg 70 which wasn’t pegged today, however, because of the horrendous wind I wouldn’t be able to fish to the platform I would have to leave it to Sean Clayton on peg 71.

I set up two rigs – a 4x14 Jolly for down the track in 4 ½ foot of water (Canal 3 is the deepest of the four) and a 4x12 Jolly for the margins with a bulk 4 inches from the hook.

Starting at 5 metres down the track with semi-hard 4mm pellet over kindered wetted micro I started to catch F1’s straight away. In the first hour I reckoned I had 22lb when the tiny Carp arrived so I switched to Glenn Bailey’s sponsored 4mm meat and had another good run of F1’s with a smattering of Carp to 2lb. I had been feeding a top-kit margin swim down wind to my left which due to the over hanging margin rushed thought was a bit too deep to fish effectively.  I spotted a 5lb Ghost Carp munching on the micro that had landed on the reeds, so time to try the margin first trying to mug it – no chance! I had a few small Carp but it wasn’t right especially with the Ghost Carp returning putting off the smaller Carp. I tried to mug it again but no joy, so I poked it with the top set to get it out of the swim, reluctantly it moved off, but it kept sneaking back. I tried down to the end margin by the bale of hay and had a few more small Carp all on meat. However, the fishing wasn’t as productive as down the track, plus it was difficult to put the rig in without the bloody wind blowing it into the reeds. I went back down the track but unfortunately I had neglected to feed the swim and found it as hard as the margin – bugger - should had stayed there longer – it’s those bloody Ghost Carp the lured me away – lesson learnt.

I finished the match fishing down to the hay bale finishing with 82lb 14oz for second overall. If I had mugged that Ghost Carp I would have won the match – I hate the Canal Ghost Carp!!

The match was won by Trevor Chalk (remember him from fishing the Bristol Avon and Huntspill - pictured right with a bucket of Carp) with 85lb. Trevor caught close in from three swims – in front, to his left and right. Trevor caught well during the last two hours.

The forecaster got it right some rain and high gusting wings to 60 mph. My pole roller went over twice; luckily I had the pole in hand, so no damage. I was relived to have put the pole away at the end without damage.

Bela was pleased he came after all coming third overall with another good days fishing at Hillview.

Full Result:

  1. Trevor Chalk 85-0-0 peg 79
  2. Mike Nicholls 82-14-0 peg 69
  3. Bela Bakos 74-04-0 peg 81
  4. Billy Hill 73-12-0 peg 75
  5. Huggy 71-08-0 peg 77
  6. Tim Ford 66-08-0 peg 73
Weigh Sheet:


No comments: