Thursday 4 December 2014

Thursday 04/12/2014 - Bathampton AA Over 55's and Disabled - Bridge Pool

Winter is now with us after a mild autumn the temperature has fallen to 4 degrees, very overcast and especially dark. Nevertheless a good turn out with 30 fishing leaving Mike Jones the difficult task of deciding which 4 pegs to leave out.

In to the draw and out comes peg 26, normally an excellent peg as pegs 27 and peg 25 are usually left out, only being pegged when essential. I can understand leaving out peg 25 but never peg 27. Mike tends to leaves out 27 because of the closeness of the platforms you can hold hands, plus the potential of pole clashing. However, peg 27 faces North and peg 26 faces East with plenty of water to go at in both pegs which is the most important aspect.

For company on peg 25 was wind breaker Rich Coles and on peg 27 was Paul Dicks who needs to visit a tackle shop to replenish some of his small tackle! Both good Silvers anglers, which most of those present would be going after today for two reasons, one practice for the forth coming Silvers league and the fact that the Lake had gone clear so Carp not expected to be active.

I set up the one rig a 4x16 Jolly. This peg has plenty of depth which is maximised at 5 metres. However, in anticipation I set up 6 metres of pole with depth fairly consistent between the two lengths. I started by feeding GB laced with maggots at 5 metres ay 12 o clock and 20 or so casters at 6 metres at 10 o clock. Starting on single maggot I was soon netting a decent Skimmer followed by three smaller versions. I don’t know what happen next but the Skimmers disappeared to be replaced by 1 oz Ronnie’s. I went over the caster line and had another Ronnie on single caster. It transpired that where ever I fished I caught a 1 - 2oz Ronnie. And that’s how the match developed and finished with the last 10 minutes being disrupted by neighbour Paul Dicks when I found a Maver pole 4 inches above my head with Preston number six elastic stretched from peg 27 to nearly peg 24!! As it was near the close of the match I let Paul play it out, otherwise either me or Rich Coles would have snaffled it!

I weighed 9lb 6oz for second in the Silvers.

The match was won by Paul Dicks with 18lb of Silvers and 31pb of Carp for a total weight of 49lb 10oz (pictured below with his Skimmers and Carp nets). Paul caught on dead reds over GB laced with a few casters and maggots.


Full Result:

  1. Paul Dicks 49-10-0 peg 27
  2. Bob “Medium Slice” Price 43-12-0 peg 30
  3. Terry Bruton 30-02-0 peg 6
  4. Mike Key 26-14-0 peg 23
  5. Harry Muir 18-10-0 peg 10
  6. Charlie Barnes 17-05-0 peg 11
 Top Silvers:


  1. Paul Dicks 18-04-0 peg 27
  2. Mike Nicholls 9-06-0 peg 26
  3. Martin Alexander 9-0-0 peg 31

No comments: